1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Starting Problem

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by JT749, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hi all, does anyone have any ideas regarding starting issue, I keep my battery plugged into conditioner when not using, I last ride it 2 weeks ago all was fine except voltage was alternatively flashing and reading as low as 11.1 volts up to 12.6 volts, i went to start it few days ago and symptoms of a flat battery, it barely turned over, I though simple the batteries had it, took e battery to a mates and we hooked it up to his 748 and started numerous times not a sign of being flat, took my battery box out of the way to look at the various plugs and although dirty nothing looked bad, I put the battery back in and it started fine, tried it a few times more and now and again it would just buzz like the fuel pump was stuck? I banged the bottom left of the battery box near the starter solenoid and it would start again fine.
    I was going to have the lot off his weekend and clean thoroughly, it seems like a bad connection, another strange thing is the engine management light was flickering when running which it never has before, voltage still varying between 11.1 and 12.6, one per thing is intermittently the engine just died as if the ignition was turned off but would then start again on pressing the starter, thanks for any suggestions other than cleaning all connections?
    JT

2. Clean all connections, check all relays and fuses for corrosion (the battery box is right in the line of fire really). Check all earthing points and battery health and reset TPS (throttle position sensor). If your cranking is feeble then consider one of @Exige Exact Start kits. They really do the job and can turn a slow-cranking bike into a start-on-the-button machine!

Good luck and post back how you get on.

3. Relay.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  4. Try running a jumper cable from the battery negative to a good earth on the engine. If it works then you need to do the secondary earth mod and consider upgrading the cables as above.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks for the replies, il give it a go at the weekend and report back,
    JT

• Like Like x 1
  6. If nothing else, everything suggested has a "preventative maintenance" value and so it'll not be a wasted effort and will hopefully result in smoother starting and running. :)

Good luck.

7. If you’re going to take it apart and clean all the connections, have to agree it’s a good idea to chuck a set of @Exige cables in there while you’re at it. Also, replacing all the relays has to be a good idea. Some folk regard them as consumables, to be replaced every year or two.
    Good luck with the battery box...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Check where the battery connections are crimped to the cable. They can fray and still look good but not allow a decent flow of volts/amps.

9. Thanks for all your inputs everyone, I have ordered new cable set so will let you know at the weekend if sorted,
    JT

• Like Like x 1
  10. yeah i've just found this on mine, now on the search for a new connector/crimp

11. The cable set will either piggyback or replace all the battery/starting circuit cables that take a high load.

12. Just an update on my starting problem, it's sorted thanks to Stu and his new lead set, it's absolutely transformed the starting literally 1st touch of the button, my voltage is up to 13-5 13-8 as well so all sorted, just been out for a freezing cold spin and alls good, for anyone that has the same symptoms as mine I would really recommend purchasing Stu's Exact tart kit, well chuffed. thanks Stu

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. I like that!! ( Exact tart)
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Whoops missed the s off,

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. I've been called worse o_O

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yep tarts.

With the s added.