1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Starting

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Hi now and again i press the starter and it chugs away and eventually gives up, then I press the starter again and it fires up, is this something that would be fixed with the starter cable upgrade do you think?

2. Yes. 100%, get one ordered and fitted. Great kit, comprehensive instructions and parts. You're already a forum subscriber so you'll get it cheaper than the average joe on the street!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I put a set of the exact start cables on a 999s I used to have which was a bugger to start, instantly made it start on the button and gave confidence when taking it out, one of the best mods you can do :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. And whilst you are in the back of the battery box, replace the coil/injector/pump relay and move it to the top of the battery box. There is even a rubber fitting for it to push into. Plenty of dielectric grease keeps water at bay (some even put it in the finger of a rubber glove).

5. Must also say I’ve put a set on my 848 and will be getting some for the 748SP I’m on with getting restored back to its former glory :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 1
  6. That will be a yes then, where do I get the relay from eBay?

7. 4 pin micro relay on ebay. Buy some spares at the same time.

8. Right type but I don't pay more than £2.50 for them. Just search eBay. They are an Achilles Heal, prone to water ingress and Verdi Gris. Should be a yearly service item really.

9. Ok thanks I will look for the cheaper ones, whats the symptoms of a faulty/failed one?

10. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, so you need a really good battery to match your super-duper new high capacity/low resistance cable-kit.
    If your battery is at all iffy, use your forum Halfords Trade Card to get a discounted Yuasa AGM battery for a mere 53 quid or so.
    Killer combination...

11. The point is that, due to their location, they are prone to failure and difficult to get at.
    Therefore it's a good idea to replace with new and re-locate while you have the notoriously awkward, pita battery box apart.
    In the new location, the new relay will be much more reliable and much, much easier to get at - win/win!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information