1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Damper Not Needed..

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by fewtrees, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Hi,

So the steering on this bike is slow and tanker like compared to many and especially compared to the superduke I had previously.

Why not just ditch the steering damper? The bike is SO stable is there a real need for it?

Anybody already done it? Got better feedback?

Would like to know before I take mine off..

2. Not sure what bike you have?,i have been riding for 28 years with no steering dampers,,until back in 2014 i brought a 916 as you know it has one.I had a new fireblade (no damper)back in sept 1993 and that flapped about but you knew when it was going to do it!.I.E, hit a bump in the road or the front lifting on gas,, so in normal riding conditions you do not need one.

3. Removing a steering damper won't speed up the steering. That's a matter of geometry not the tendency for the bars to wag over bumps. The simplest way to sharpen the steering response is to reduce rake and trail by lifting the forks in the yokes. But a little goes a long way. 5 mm on a 1098 SF makes quite a difference, as does setting the rear ride height correctly and getting the right loading on the front wheel.
    A good suspension set-up will do more good than removing the steering damper.

4. It may do if the damper is would right up, but only at slow speeds

5. True but the OE dampers on the Streetfighters aren't adjustable. They don't do a lot of damping either in my opinion.
    A proper suspension set-up would still be my first port of call.

6. It’s the 1098 street fighter. I’ve read on this forum that the standard damper is too stiff and my track experience suggests the bike doesn’t really need one.. I agree with the suspension advice and it’s been fettled with for my weight.. I like the idea of raising the forks and I’ll give that a try too.. I’ve never had this bike wobble ever but my gixxer is much more flighty :)

#6 fewtrees, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. Nearly lost a good mate 2 years back. Highly tuned fz1s, upgraded suspension, power commander, decat, pipe etc etc.
    Super stable bikes fz1s, even with a jack up spacer on back.
    Anyway, he hit a cats eye mid corner, came off big style due to a tankslapper. I watched the whole thing unfold in front of me.. The bike was a complete write off, he was lucky and made full recovery, ....after about 12 months he could even remember the words to "whisky in the jar', his trademark drinking song!
    We are both of the opinion that a steering damper probably would have saved the day. My feeling is that they only need to save a tankslap once, as that might be the one!

8. I raised my forks 10 mm. The rear was lifted 10 mm as well during the suspension set-up. When it wheelies off a bump, the moment it hits it starts a slight wobble which disappears when the tyre breaks traction and its calm on touchdown, so its predictable but 5 mm of lift would probably be enough. I wouldn't lift it any more or I think it would become slap-happy.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information