1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Damper

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by duke_hyper, Dec 7, 2019.

2. I meant to write that’s disappointing, I got mine from Ducati and it was good but I left it on the hp when I sold it
    Cheers

3. I'm sorry for bringing this up.

I recently got a Hypermotard 950 with the Ducabike steering damper set. I also noticed the damper isn't working when set to max. The handlebar still moves very easily. To test this, I actually lift the front wheel so the handlebar can move freely and not affecting by the friction of the tire. The result is the steering damper makes little to no difference. I would like to know if anyone has encounter this?

I believe this is a flaw in Ducabike's design. I tested with 2 Ohlins 68mm steering dampers and both of them yielded the same results. I'm considering getting the steering damper set from Ducati performace but I would love to hear what people say about this first.

4. I have the ducati performance set, i set it in the 4 position for urban use, i
    Hi!

First of all, sorry for my english.

I have the ducati performance kit, and it works perfect, in my bike the setup are in the 4/5 position and is enough, if i set in the max, i can move a little but i can't imagine using this.

One friend is working in a team, and he say me, the stering damper we can buy for use in road, have a safe setup in the max position. This setup can be removed changing an inside needle "valve".

Maybe the ducabike setup have it to soft, i don't know, i always thinked the damper are the same.

Hope this can help you a little, maybe you can contact with the dealer or Andreanimhs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don't worry I can still understand you. I'm not native either haha.

So you set it at 4/5 out of 18 clicks for normal use and if you set it at 18 then you will have to exert a tons of force to move the handlebar. Is that correct?

Does it feel different if you adjust 2-3 clicks per time? For example, it's at 4 and you change it to 7, does it feel a little bit stiffer? My problem is, even when I go from 1 to 18, I feel little to nothing when moving the handlebar. Normally, in that scenario, the changes in the force required to move the handlebar would be hugely noticeable.

I believe there is nothing wrong with the damper but it's the flaw in the bracket design, as Pard pointed out.

6. Hi!

Yep, i feel it more strong. I think the ducabike bracket are the same than ducati performance, if you not feel more strong, i think is the damper.

Yo can zoom my photo to see the bracket.

20200119_154404.jpg

7. I've just installed the original damper kit from Ducati on my 950 Hyper. It does feel as a strong resistance anywhere from 12 to 18 clicks. I think it would be easier to notice the difference if you put the wheel on a slippery surface like sand or something.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I had my local Ducati dealer check the steering damper before diving deeper into this issue and found Pard's post. They raised the belly of the bike so the front wheel is off the ground. I moved the handlebar with the steering damper set at min and max position but didn't feel any resistance.

I only get suspicious because I have two bikes. My Ducati scrambler with its steering damper works exactly as a steering damper should work: I'd meet a very strong resistance to turn the handlebar when the steering damper set at max. I did not/ barely meet any resistance with the steering damper on my Hyper 950. (And that's is on the same surface, in my garage).

I already ordered a Ducati performance steering damper set. Considering the current pandemic, I would probably get it at the end of April. After installing and testing, I would update this post. I forgot to record the testing when my local dealer checked the steering damper so I would do it next time with both Ducabike and Ducati steering damper.

I believe it's not accidental that 2 people with Ducabike steering damper found this issue while none with the Ducati steering damper has this happened. So I want to raise this issue up and make people aware of this before making the purchase. For now, the Ducabike steering damper is useless to me (and to a few of my friends who tested my bike and share the same opinion).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. So I actually bought the Ducati performance steering damper set to replace my Ducabike set. And I can conclude there is definitely something wrong with my Ducabike setup. I use the SAS15D + COS02 bracket setup.

I think the Ducabike mounting bracket has long lever arm which makes it flex excessively.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Upon changing to the Ducati performance bracket, I can confirm the steering damper is working and I have the full travel distance. With the Ducabike setup, I only got about 1/3 of the travel distance. I'm sharing my finding in hope that people who were considering getting steering damper should think twice before purchasing the Ducabike bracket.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information