1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Steering Lock Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by pl2112, Aug 1, 2016.

1. That sounds good, any tips where it is? Obviously, near the steering!!

2. Not sure if you've already done this or has been suggested, so apologies if you have.
    When I first got my 2010 the steering lock was unreliable so after many attempts this was the solution for me.
    Firstly lube the lock area including the the micro switches for left/right lock. Clean off excess and go grab a brew, burn, sexual encounter with a consenting adult!
    When return to bike, ignition on, start bike and run for a few seconds move steering from lock to lock, centre bars and shut of engine. leave ignition for a few secs. Now hopefully the moment of glory. Ignition off but do not hold sliding switch down yet, count to ten, hold switch down and and move bars to full left lock, you should see the waiting for lock show on info, a few secs later lock actuator should power and engage, if not, release switch, wait a few more secs and repeat for full right lock.
    Hope this works for you mate, since I did this mine has worked faultlessly for three years now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. It’s hard to see where the bolt actually comes from? So I oil all the top mechanisms?

4. Spray plenty of WD 40 all round the locking mechanism. That may do it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Done that, let it sink in & just checked again- I get the “waiting for lock” then nothing.

6. Does it make any noises as if it is going to work? If not, I'd reckon it's knackered. Once mine starts making the noise I release the switch and it locks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nope no noise at all nothing mechanical

8. Anyone got a zoomed in pic of where it’s meant to be oiled? I did all over the top earlier close to the tank.

9. Or is there a fuse?

10. Top pic is full right, lock pin not energised.
    Bottom is pin energised.

20200324_150443.jpg 20200324_150512.jpg

• Like Like x 1

11. if "waiting for lock" then move the red slide switch down until locked

12. If I do that it either turns the bike back on & if I hold it it says “red switch not released”

13. with the softwarechange it says " red switch not released" too, but then it locks.
    i would give it a try, is cheaper then a new Handsfree

14. Any luck mate?

15. I’ll check tomorrow, need to go to the shops so I may as well use the Duc for a bit.

16. just been out (to do a shop) still no steering lock, now I see the pin, I've oiled it & it makes no attempt at all to come out, either lock, is there a fuse? ill need this sorting asap as I've only got a 3 month warranty!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information