1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Stm Clutch Fitted -- Q On Lever Feel

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Hey

OE Clutch was slipping , decided to upgrade to a slipper ; I have RCS19 Corsa corta installed a couple of weeks and Oberon Clutch slave , Goodridge lines , everthing working good with the exception of the slipping OE clutch during a track day, Motul RBF600 Fluid

Just fitted an STM Clutch (6 post) 48 tooth basket, I only did a few KM , all in traffic ; hard to explain , it feels like a click in in the clutch lever , you progressively release and she gives the sensation of a pop, i taught it was an air bubble, it is not consistent but happened in 1st gear , pulling off a few times

I reckon it is the 48 teeth , probably me not fully engaging it lever or she is jumping a tooth, needs a to bed in ?

Anybody come across this?

2. Hi Carlo. Don’t know what the problem may be but i’ve Got basically the same set up as you and all I can say is it’s miles better then the feeling I got from the std setup. Hope you get it sorted as it’ll be worth it.

Ian

3. Oh and just 20 mins away from docking in Holyhead! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not too sure it is an issue , might just need some miles

Might even be the clutch slipping , just feels weird ; doesn't imped operation

5. Not home yet

6. Looks like others have similar problems Carlo

• Like Like x 1
  7. Normal behaviour for a slipper.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. will give her a roasting tomorrow

9. I had a Kbike pressure plate in the OE cutch prior , new bearing ; the bearing is gone ; 2 track days and 1000 miles , if even

Is this normal for dry clutches , pressure plate bearings to expire so quickly, I presume is was the dust off the plates causing the failure

10. I have a DP slipper on my 748. I sometimes get that feedback through the lever. It happens most of the time when you change down gears and don't bring the engine revs up enough. Nothing is damaged or worn. I think it's just natural. I've done 11000 km with it like this and it seems fine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The click is normal

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. My slipper on my 748 used to click as does my gsxr one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Its probably the bearings sliding up the ramps and/or the spider spring. But all my slipper clutches clicked.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. So have the Stm in a few Km and one track day

Took her out today since the track day pulling off from a stand still, letti g out the clutch slow and progressive she is very jerky compared to before, once moving she is fine

In the rear she starts to bunny hop, I put it down to cold tyres and or wrong pressure so dropped the supercorsa in the rear from 35 to 33

Bunny hop is a term associated with drag racing its like the clutch is slip grab, slip , grab

15. my sliper clutch isnt very nice round town either, always judders off the line.

16. I used to get a 'graunchy' noise on pulling away. I fixed that with a careful arrangement of the plates, ie the dished ones. Trial and error Im afraid. But you can swap em in 10-15mins once you get the practice in.

JHP sell em individually, the plain plates of 1.5mm, 2mm and the dished or convex ones. Setting up a slipper can feel liek a black art at times.

(beware the odd spring post coming loose as my stm one had one that would always undo with the spring bolt until I thread locked it)

17. I used to have the gripping problem and the noise off the line and it pissed me off so much I almost went back to a standard clutch. I read somewhere the lithium grease option and it works a treat. Spray white lithium grease on both sides on the metal plates and put it back together. It doesn't matter if you're a bit messy with it. My clutch works flawlessly now, has absolutely no slip when engaged, is quiet and no shuddering and the slipper mechanism works perfectly on downshifts. Remember, a wet clutch sits in engine oil so a bit of lubrication is not a problem.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information