1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Stm Clutch Fitted -- Q On Lever Feel

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by CarloL, Aug 14, 2018.

1. I baked my friction plates in Li grease too. I'm beginning to think @Nelson was pulling a fast one on me as it was like someone set off a smoke bomb in our kitchen. Fortunately wifey was a away that weekend. But it did work nicer for a while after.

2. Is that a new STM @CarloL ?
    Mine was smooth as a buttery buttered thing from the moment I fitted it. No graunchiness or bunny hop type stuff.
    I just put it together per instructions using the STM plates and it has been great.

3. No-one likes a show off Ricky.

4. I wasn’t...
    Just indicating that doing it per the instructions resulted in a perfectly acceptable outcome.
    To be honest, I was not expecting it to be so smooth “out of the box” but hey, I’ll take it as a result!

5. To be fair my STM 48t on 916 was brand new and that worked straight outta box. The one I put on 1198 was STM 48t outer and Sigma inner, so that prob had a lot to do with the set up.

I mention 48t just to keep @Nelson happy

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Anyway, as you may remember, my sprag clutch is fucked now so it’s not all rosy chez moi!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Easy peasy once you have a flywheel holding tool and some threebond. Oh and a Clarke impact wrench and a suitably sized Norbar torque wrench. Combined with my mechanical acumen and fabulousness.

£362 inc VAT for sprag, flange and starter gear from Snells.

Forgot to add - new Oil and Coolant required too

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hee hee...He said flange...:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Yep..priced it all up at P&H and read the manual so know what’s the deal. I did it on my 916 with an old style flywheel.
    Going to do it “later”....in Toulouse right now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Thanks for the advise and reviews , first time using a slipper

The STM is brand new , 48T basket, plates , the whole kit ; she was fine from install but maybe the heat from the track day killed off what ever lube was on there from factory

It seems to be a characteristic of these clutches , I can live with it , was more concerned something was wrong , I heard the spider springs in general can be a troublesome

12. Those springs are £75 new the last time I bought one. (HM Racing in Edenbridge sell em individually), theyre prone to cracking. But usually after a fair amount of time and use.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I was glad to read you get a lifetime guarantee with the STM spider spring

I will give her a few more KM and see if she beds in a bit more , maybe the heat on the trackday caused some residue to build up on the disks

14. Where does it say you get a ifetime guarantee for the STM spider?

15. I got mine off Moto Rapido, STM told them they offer lifetime warranty on the spider spring

• Like Like x 1
  16. Was out on the bike again the weekend , the violent first gear take off is just getting right on my tits ; its dangerous trying to get through roundabouts , its high possibility she stalls

I know these Clutches are tailored for track use so first gear starts are not exactly priority , once she is moving she is great!

Talking to Motorapido,the symptoms I have described are related to the concave steel plate(s).

Looking at the Plates based on the STM pdf , it does not say if they are concave or not
    https://www.stmitaly.com/istruzioni/adu-0030.pdf

The chances are that I will currently have one of these steel plates within your clutch pack. They are known to lose their dished shape when subject to heat and will then not act as a spring, resulting in learner starts

Was recommended to fit a DDU-226/B - Z37 Concave Clutch Plate, 1.5mm

Q: on fitting the Discs , what way round do they go?

#36 CarloL, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  17. Doesn't matter if fitting 1 dished plate but if fitting 2, make a flying saucer shape. Andy

18. I get this with the sigma slipper clutch in my Daytona, had it also in my standard 2013 Daytona (which had an OEM slipper clutch fitted). It's horrible and nearly enough to make me want to remove it, but for track use that stuff doesn't matter.

IMHO the only reason it's not generally easy to feel on bikes with Hydraulic clutches is that the fluid kinda damps the vibration, maybe this actually makes it feel worse I dunno

19. I fitted 2 Plates last week, DDU-226/B - Z37 Convex Clutch Plate, 1.5mm

So far so good, she is as smooth as butter

You can use up to 4 plates to adjust your clutch pack height

• Like Like x 1
  20. My STM 48T slipper is a smooth as butter, assembled exactly per instructions with their flat steel plates and it’s fantastic.*

* as said earlier

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information