1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stolen Bike Thread/sub Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by noobie, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Given the marque seems to be the target of choice after scooters, what would the forum owners thoughts be on having a sub forum, or even a dedicated pinned thread to report and update on stolen bikes?

If we had one place to aim for, it would stop the reports being all over the board but also would be all in one place to update, aim for and look at easily and quickly?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. In the most depressing way it seems like a good idea...

3. Sign of the times. UK's gone down the toilet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. According to who/what? I don't think there is any one particular brand singled out. Thieves steal things that aren't bolted down, and sometimes even if they are. That's what they do.

5. No worries, just delete the thread if it is a problem, it just seemed almost every other day in here a ducati is being reported as stolen and thought it might help

#5 noobie, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. Sounds a good idea. Nothing wrong with being a signpost to try and help people get their bike back, regardless of brand :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. @El Toro is right in that it's all brands that are targeted , I think the top 5 stolen 2 wheels are scooters. That said, I think the OP's idea is a good one.
    A go to reference point on all forums would be useful.

8. But wouldn't stuff get lost as time goes by? (Just as the "one stop shop" Multistrada bits for sale thread does).

I would have thought highlighting each incident as it happens, on an individual basis, would have had more impact. Discuss.

9. A lot of other bike forums have a "stolen bike section".

10. Good idea Noobie :upyeah:

11. Show me :)

I'm not dismissing the idea. I just question it's impact. If any.

12. Which would be the case. Every new entry is something people could look at as it is entered but also should something spark off a "I'm sure I saw that bike mentioned before, where was it?" would be combated by having one thread rather than trying to go through multiple threads in all of the sections.

I must admit I didn't think this would be an issue and am not sure why it is? If putting a stolen bike on the internet in the hope to get it back for the owner and catch some baddies was not done, then why are we seeing so many doing it and why is the questioning of it happening in all places, a motorcycle forum that regularly posts "bike stolen" threads.

Dunno, puzzling

13. TBF, I accept your argument too ET. Perhaps both, a dedicated section & individual entries if preferred.
    It works for selling stuff & the key thing is visibility.

14. Will do :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Have sent John a note :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. I think it's a good idea especially as you guys keep an eye on eBay for bits that maybe broken and this could help if you think certain bits are off a bike that's been stolen but you can't remember which thread it was
    Maybe just keep it to Ducati if it makes things easier

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Can you limit posts/responses to stop the thread getting out of hand? Posts could be limited to "here are the details of a theft that just occurred, keep an eye out". If every post is kept to that, and not "I had one of those stolen once", what chain did you use", my mate knows a mate who heard that those bikes are easy to steal" etc... then it could be effective.

I see @El Toro 's point that, if not restricted to an individual post per individual theft, it becomes a mess and serves no purpose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I'm kinda with Tel on this one, I also would doubt it's effectiveness but every little does help, and so with JH's thoughts in mind, can it made a thread whereby no responses can be made ? A read only thread with only the facility to PM folk ??

• Like Like x 1
  19. Even better. A rule of no 'sorry to hear that' 'hang em high' 'banter bollox' so it's simply an infinite discuss point.

And a post layout: vrn and date in title with location, time in content. Then anyone who spots something can add.

Could become a signpost for internet surfing bikers if they spot one. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information