Hi guys & girls, I thought it would be worth me putting together a project thread for my 748 SP, I like looking back at the progress & hopefully some of my discoveries will help other 748 owners Back in May this year I decided it was finally time to start looking for a 748, I've always loved the look of the 748/916 and owning one was on that list of life goals that I wanted to tick off... What most will find strange to hear is that I come from a back ground of rev-happy Japanese sports bikes (250cc two strokes/ 600cc 4 strokes) so moving to a V twin could have been a sour move which I discovered last year when purchasing an Aprilia RSV-R (great bike just a very lazy torque filled engine) but after reading reviews the 748 sounded right up my street with its rev happy engine and its demand to be ridden hard! I never set out to purchase an SP model but when this one came up locally and I could resist going to see it, now she was a little dusty/tired looking having sat for 3 years whilst the owner worked on various other projects but i could see the potential, the question was how much was it going to cost me to set it right on top of purchasing. (Picture from previous owner) What really appealed to me with this bike in particular is the fact that it had been owned by the same gentleman for 19 years and had covered a host of European road trips! (Picture from previous owner) I made the hero/high risk/ potentially stupid decision to ride it almost 90 miles having not moved in 3 years to the MOT center, the tyres made for a terrifying ride and had gone brittle and were heavily squared off, but the trusty old girl made it all the way there without missing a beat. Now it did fail the MOT (which i expected) butttt only on a front tyre being below the minimum tread depth other than that the MOT tester said everything else was spot on - Result With the Ducati back home it was time to start the deep clean (Yes I know Ducati's & water are not a great combination lol) With a good few hours spent with various home made cleaning cocktails she was looking back in top form! It was now onto the maintenance, having read the horror stories of Italian electrics I went in with my eyes open expecting the worst. The loom did need some work and the cambelt was looking very aged (Lucky she held out for the 90 mile trip home) So it sat on my work bench looking sorry for it's self for about a week whilst my monster order of parts arrived to get everything running 100% perfect First to arrive were the brand new tyres, for me spending the most you can is money well spent as at the end of the day there the only thing keeping you in contact with the tarmac! Next up, Genuine Ducati cambelt, spark plugs, oil filter, sump washer & Fuchs fully synthetic engine oil. R&G tail tidy with the orange lens cover to try and keep it all in theme with the age whilst clearing up the rear end. Slowly going back together, spent an entire evening just tinkering in the garage, one happy boy (simple things in life hey!) I must say the cambelt replacement was so much easier than I expected, how garages charge what they do for this service is beyond me! The finished item, with hours of cleaning & maintenance complete it was looking and sounding spot on, having a throttle body balancer to hand allowed me to get the idle perfect and the throttle response razor sharp.