1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Stone's Ducati 748 Sp Project!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jamesstone, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Thanks for the picture Birdie, I shall get the cover off and check the belts before the next ride that's for sure.

What a mess the in correctly set one was in your second picture!

2. Just found the Ducati pro team picture and it does look like there tensioner angle is correct hmmm could be another set of belts on order if I have done it the other way then! Shall have a look at the weekend

3. Didn't look much of a project, tidy bike! Enjoyed that video :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. UPDATE :

So with the fear that I may have tensioned the cambelts wrong I decided the safest thing would be to strip it back down and inspect, I had indeed rotated it clockwise rather than anti clockwise, thankfully no damaged had been done as I'm sure sourcing SP engine components would have been game over for this little SP! So thanks for the members that spotted my error :relaxed:

So just to be extra safe I purchased another set of Genuine Ducati cambelts, yes its overkill but for the sake of £80 on trade and not wanting to retension a used set I would rather be safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

Also took some pictures to show the belt clearance between anti clockwise & clockwise adjustment, it looks to be around 2-3mm clearance difference.

Clockwise (held by hand)
    [​IMG]

Anti clockwise (held by hand)
    [​IMG]

Belt tensioned, spun over by hand 8 complete cycles to ensure everything was tracking correctly and that the timing points all lined up, Hopefully the last time I need to take the covers off for a couple of years..
    [​IMG]

A couple of questions I did want to ask the experts on here, the cambelt schedule appears to be every 2 years, is that over kill on the belts or is that all there safely capable of?

Second question regarding the dreaded rocker arms, is it true that the first examples (mine being a 1995) were less prone to the issue as production changed in 1996?

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great story - thanks for sharing!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. So the little Ducati 748 SP has covered minimal mileage the past couple of years and hasn't been ridden for almost 1.5 years but this winter I've decided to give the old girl some TLC and get it back out for 2020!

The biggest eye sore currently is the exhaust and ohlins rear spring, any of you guys had success with sand blasting/ re-powder coating the original as its really letting the rest of the bike down?

Any way a few pictures including a quick rub down of the exhaust, going to be some hours finishing this!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've blogged a video of the strip down for those interested -

• Like Like x 6
  7. Looks like the shock could do with a refresh anyway, when was the last time it was serviced? I had mine refreshed with new spring, shock body and service for about £240. It is worth getting it sorted...

9B880127-C8F0-482A-8B79-AC5984AE788F.png D9638B66-1664-4182-9AAE-D0E53DCDAA77.png

• Like Like x 8
  8. Wow what a difference, certainly worth looking into, be great to get some Ohlins for the front too! Have seen the Ohlins springs so may trial these if anyone can report improvements/ worth doing?

9. Just do an ohlins piston kit and springs up front mate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I had hoped the little 748 SP project would be progressing further but sadly it needs more work than I first thought.. i've decided its time to strip it down to the frame!

As you can see in the above video its going to need the frame sent off for strip/powder coating then all the bearings etc will be replaced along with bolt re-zinc plating etc.

Little baffled on how I'm going to repair the chipped fork legs, any solutions guys?

As above I will send the rear damper away to be rebuilt and go with Ohlins front fork internals

• Like Like x 1
  11. I haven’t watched the video yet so not sure which part of the fork leg is chipped. However, if it’s the lower fork leg that slides up into the outer cover you can remove it, have it rubbed down or blasted and recoated with either chrome or TiN. If it’s the upper part into which the lower slides on compression then there is no fix:(. I know from experience. Due to the ribbed nature of the upper part it will never be recreated if blasted and recoated. 2nd hand replacement Showas are about £200, just buy good replacements, or get the Ohlins ones you were thinking of:)

12. Not sure if this company can replicate the original finish - I'm sure some have had it done successfully - just found these with a google...
    https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/motorcycle-forks-outer-tubes-sliders-anodising/

13. If they can Id be glad to know. The issue is the original fork outlets have a ribbed texture, think of those ‘ribbed for pleasure’ Durex:astonished:. When removing the corrosion the ribbed texture disappears too :( thus the entire fork outer needs to be taken back to bare metal and recoated but leaves a smooth finish which is not original.

A quick eBay search threw some up which may be suitable at <£200. As long as they’re not corroded in the same way, buy them, strip them, clean them, replace seals & bushes, add new oil and they’ll be as good as new for the same or less as would cost to have them stripped & recoated & rebuilt.

14. Thanks for the input on the fork tubes, would be a shame to loose the original finish but at the same time as there damage it looks like I have limited options. My concern with a use set is running into a similar issue again as from what I can see it appears to be corrosion under the coating thats caused it to lift

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. H James. I have been following your youtube episodes and I have a SPS which I'm doing the same kinda of thing to at the moment. Re the forks, be wary that the SPS had a specific fork but I cannot remember what it was, but this may affect the SP. I read in the last couple of days that 'earlier' to 1997/1998 the brake calliper bolts were 40mm not 65mm. Again, not had time to relook at this, but just bare it in mind. I have some small issues to my fork uppers which I have been recommended someone who will strip down, service and recoat as per OEM. I'll dig out the details and post them for you (and others).

16. Oh know... he’s going to have to try and take the swing arm pivot out... eek

on a serious note, watched the previous video and liked it, keep up the good work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Its been a little while but work has begun on the 748sp again & yesterday she made it to MOT under her own power and passed with flying colours (25km covered since the last MOT in 2018 - crying shame!)

Few videos recently (next one goes live tonight at 6pm of its first road ride)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Amazing read and effort, well done:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. how did i miss this. will watch tonight cannot wait

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thank you :D

The videos have come along way so they do get better quality through the series (at least I hope so any way)
    the latest one dropped last night, was great to be back out on the old girl just a shame roads and traffic were not great but to be expected for this time of year!

Let me know your thoughts on the videos, always good to have feedback from owners of the same bike (good and bad lol)

A few pictures from the garage over the past weeks for those that are not into Youtube videos -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    James

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information