1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Strange Sound/vibes Off Throttle

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by redsail, May 9, 2016.

1. I noticed yesterday a bit of a strange whining/rubbing noise from the bike. It happens when releasing the clutch at low revs or when throttling off (maybe it's masked by engine noise at higher revs). It seems to be related to the clutch but not sure. It definitely doesn't happen when the clutch is in.

Bike is 13 plate 9k miles corse SE.

Is this just the clutch plates rubbing? Hoping it's not something more sinister like a bearing going.

2. My main crank bearing went , making a similar noise which i thought was the clutch, very expensive mistake,
    Ended up with a full rebuild & lots of parts :(
    I wouldn't run the bike until your sure what the problem is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. that's not what I wanted to hear :((((

What's the investigation procedure for main crank? (thought the 848 was supposed to be a bit more robust then that).

4. Might be an idea to whip your belt covers off and take a look, although I'd expect them to give a constant noise if rubbing.
    If the adjustable pulley has been adjusted in the wrong direction, the belt runs can rub against each other

5. Will take a look but my gut says it's something more substantial than that, it's a smooth but grinding sort of vibe, and it only happens when the clutch is released just before you fully let go but also on throttling off at lower revs. If belts it would be constant, wouldn't it? Edit: sorry you already suggested that.

Louigi moto did the belts last year, I'd be surprised if they messed it up.

Last oil change I noticed some swarf on the magnet. Flat pieces of metal. Sprag clutch maybe?

6. Just been out to the garage and fired up the bike to have a listen. Nothing out of the ordinary was audible. Pulled in clutch a few times. Nada.

I ride with ear plugs and my memory is not like it once was so I'm not 100% certain it was a 'noise' but rather something I could feel through bars/pegs/arse.

If a bearing would I hear it with the bike cold and idling?

7. I have a bit of experience offshore with bearings on winches,motors etc, often when we have a motor idling no issue is apparent & its not until we have a load attached then you can hear the problem, this will continue to deteriorate over time & use, then the bearings will rumble off load too,but i'm only a sparky, a mech's opinion would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The trouble is mate that there isn't a way to know if they are gone I don't think... The dealer may be able to take the alternator out and feel for play but it would have to be well gone to feel it there.

One idea could be to drop the oil and see if there is a build up of metal in there, it's worth it for £50

I have heard of the odd 848 evo suffer mains failure from my time on Ducati forums, however mostly whenever a thread comes up discussing this its 1098's tbh. I think it's more common in the bigger engine and rare on these ones.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. S
    Sprag clutch only affects starting and problems are due to trying to start with a weak battery and or lots of resistance in the starting circuit.

10. Guess I'll have to drop the oil and have a look :(

11. Was wondering if it could be a cause of the flakes I saw last year... but agree not the cause of the odd vibes.

12. Have you been having starting issues then?

13. No. Well only when hot, occasionally. Richard from Louigi moto mentioned it as a possible cause of the metal on the magnet.

14. As I understand it, you get sprag clutch problems when there is insufficient energy available from the battery and starting circuit combination to allow the sprag clutch to engage properly, which knackers it.
    If the sprag clutch is engaging fully and the bike starting energetically, the sprag should be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes it's all fine starting wise. Ugh. Dreading what I'll find in the oil this time.

16. Dropping the gauze (pre filter) will help give you an idea if the mains are going. Hope it something else.

17. Thanks. I didn't do this last time. Will look into it.

18. If you see this....... Then sorry.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Hi jase. Glad you added that. I was looking for your thread but couldn't find it. Let's hope you don't see this!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information