1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Streetfighter 1098 Not Starting

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by yelworc, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Hi. Got myself a Fighter,white standard -09, thats been sitting at a local car dealer for about 10 years. (Sweden) It was in a accident and has some cosmetic damage,other then that its nearly new, has about 2900km's. When trying to start it cranks over but doesnt fire up. There is no whining from the fuel pump. Battery new and fresh fuel is in. The starter goes for about 10 seconds then stops. Isnt this strange? On my panigale you could just keep on trying..
    I suspect its been old fuel in the system for a very long time. Any ideas?

2. If you can’t hear the fuel pump then no point even trying to start it. Don’t crank the starter continuously or you will eventually damage the sprag and overheat the starter, you should get at least a cough within 10 seconds. There will be lots of other people along to help and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. The fuel pump fuse and relay seem a good place to start given you can't hear the pump prime when you turn the ignition on. :rolleyes: If still no good, I'd put 12v across the pump terminals and see if the pump is kaput.

As above, you're flogging a dead horse and will knock the sprag out if you keep trying with no fuel pressure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. 1098 etc have an assisted start. You just touch the button and it cranks by itself for 10 or so seconds or until the engine starts, which ever comes first.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SF fired up today and runs like a god. Battery was new but the dealer hadnt charged it properly. Some cooling leaks dripping on the lower radiator,did some tightening of the hose clips,easy fix. Im hugely impressed by the engine character,feels so different then my 1199. At the moment all i can say is,this deal & bike feels 2 good 2 be true!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Great news :)

7. Mate I hope you changed the belts

8. The best way to test the belts on a bike that's been sitting for 10 years is to start the bike and pin the throttle wide open for 1 minute. If the belts don't break, they are good. :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Good News! - definitely check belts, doesn't take long. Does your bike have an auto-crank starter switch - cranks on it's own after first push?

10. The belts will be changed before starting to ride it,of course! But its a long time until summer..
    I had to change lower radiator,it was damaged where the small fairing screw threads into it. I dont like that design at all.
    I got a very good price and bought some chinese ones,replacing also the upper. There is no bracket on these for the horn but it was no problem to switch place to the side instead.
    Fans will not be re-installed,i have no need for them. Will get some plugs from the 1199 race kit.
    Also left to do is the upper radiator cover and thinking of going with Ilmberger side covers or maybe the Fullsix "special"ones to cover up the chrome & hoses.
    A brand new tail also arrived today,the original one has some small damage in the clearcoat and i want this bike as new from the shop so it must be replaced.
    20200203_100941.jpg
    20200203_101133.jpg
    20200203_153922.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. I dont think so! But i cant say for sure,will test next time..

12. I didn't think so, was prompted to ask by an earlier post on your thread.

13. Looks mint....Loving it.

Hope you get a chance to thrash the nuts off it soon bro. Bit jealous of the 1199 Pani tho. I've been looking at one.

14. No trashing! Just a gentle ride through the summer breeze...
    BUT the 1199 is already raped so might well continue.
    Here she is for you:
    20200211_182958.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oh my daze....now that is something.....

Some day, some day, till then, I'll just have to put up with wind blast and wheelies. Enjoy the summer breeze

16. Thanks,i will! To be longing for a bike is nice,im sure the stars will align for you soon..

17. Was about ready to ride but when installing new rear tyre it rubs against the swingarm. What the hell is this about ? Its the same size as oem.

18. Have you rotated the eccentric the correct way? Anti clockwise

19. Thanks. I didnt think you could have the right tension (wich it have) with the excentric in wrong position. Will check this asap,hoping this is it.

20. Have to go 14 front sprocket. Easiest way to get some more space,i hope it will do. Chain at tightest possible and wheel spins free but there is no margin and i cant ride with a chain that tight.
    This bike is surely wrong from the factory.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information