1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer Industrial Action Heathrow

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by noobie, Jul 23, 2019.

1. school holidays so the unions are being silly at heathrow

If you are flying from/to heathrow on Friday 26 July and Saturday 27 July, Monday 5 August and Tuesday 6 August, and Friday 23 August and Saturday 24 August,then unite are having strikes on those dates

https://unitetheunion.org/news-even...-vote-for-strike-action-and-join-pay-dispute/

It's worth contacting your agent if you have flights on these days and asking if there will be any impact that may effect your flights.

#1 noobie, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Saw the effects of this building up tonight in T2. Passenger’s baggage trollies all over the main car park with all the handlers sat outside chilling.

3. I feel sorry for the travelling public , but feel sorrier for the airport staff, i hope they achieve their aims. Good luck comrades.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I think its a bad decision to strike at this time of the year personally, its selfish and ill timed.

Presumably supporters feel the staff members, no matter whom they are, are all woefully underpaid and being taken advantage of and thus in a worse position in life when compared to anyone travelling through the airports.

What about the families trying to travel taking their children away, some of whom are likely paid just as badly, some cases possibly worse, and are in desperate need of a break with some quality family time which may have cost them many months of saving and cutting back.

People are free to strike, people are free to blindly follow Unite, but doing so at this point in the year is selfish and IMO poorly planned as its more likely to enrage 'the general public' than garner their support. Any sympathy they would have had will very quickly disappear especially when reports come out of families losing £1000's.

Yep, great strategy :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Damned French again at holiday time. Oh, hold on....o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Finally, we get the hang of being Europeans just as we are about to leave Europe …

3, 2, 1,...

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the strike, or more specifically the strike at this time. However, I do find talk about 'selfishness' quite amusing. They could easily turn it around and call you selfish for using an airport where the staff are <insert whatever their grievance is>.

Public sympathy or support never got anyone (working for a private company) resolution to <insert whatever their grievance is>. The public do what suits them and doesn't really give a toss about the people providing them with services.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. This is true.

It is also true that the timing of the strike will hit families going on holiday disproportionately, compared to striking at another time of year.

Unite's choice … some may feel that have not chosen wisely.

9. oh, so there is strikes planned for down your way too. no mention of that on the radio. funny that.

10. Trying to keep my personal feelings out of it (which are that this is extremely f'ing annoying)... but it will also hit the airport owners pockets disproportionately, compared to striking at another time of year.

I'm sure you agree that we should nationalise the airports given their importance and the fact that they are more or less a monopoly :)

[1, 2, 3, 4...]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Surely it's called a Wireless in Scotland?
    Picture taken earlier today of Scottish family listening to their government in Whitehall.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. How could families who've had their annual holiday booked for many many months in advance possibly have known the airport staff grievances and/or timings of a strike?

Again this takes the view that none of the families travelling have money and/or employment issues of their own, or that they also don't work in a service sector of employment.

Timing is everything, and this is once again poorly timed and misjudged by corbyn's buddies Unite, which is again rather bizarre as Corbyn et al seem to suggest they're the party to vote for when supporting families.

Yep, great strategy

13. Unite is striking because....
    The planned strikes follow the rejection of an 18 month pay offer amounting to 2.7 per cent.
    Sounds very reasonable to me...
    2.7%!!!! - I've not had a pay rise in years....
    Last year I gave my brother a 6.25% pay rise, his first since loosing the leg; so technically he got an extra 1.5% pro rata.

14. The financial situation or the employment status of the families is not the responsibility of the striking employees.

15. Unite's own website is bitching about how much the hard working Chef Executive got compared to their 2.7%.....
    And that some workers get less than others for doing the same job......
    Knowing quite a few airport workers as I do the wages are different due the differing contracts.
    Flexible contracts and unsociable hours get more than 9-5 workers..... simples!
    Pensions are different and some companies have purchased other companies and so on.... is a right mixing pot. The unions just want to pick the cherries out of each contract.

Personally I think that unions are a bad idea for business.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. And the fact you don't see the irony of that statement is breath taking.

Earlier you said this:

However, I do find talk about 'selfishness' quite amusing. They could easily turn it around and call you selfish for using an airport where the staff are <insert whatever their grievance is>.

Public sympathy or support never got anyone (working for a private company) resolution to <insert whatever their grievance is>. The public do what suits them and doesn't really give a toss about the people providing them with services.

Selfish
    adjective
    1. (of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for other people; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.
      "I joined them for selfish reasons"
      synonyms: egocentric, egotistic, egotistical, egomaniacal, self-centred, self-regarding, self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-seeking, self-serving, wrapped up in oneself, inward-looking, introverted, self-loving; More

Wow

17. Is the financial situation of the employees the responsibility of the people using the service they provide ?

18. Dont complicate matters Alan :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Nope - that's the point. The industrial action is probably not designed with the families in mind. It's designed with the employers in mind.

20. Quite frankly I don't give a fuck about unite, they have chosen the school holidays for maximum effect and care not for the flying public

My reason for posting the link was any members who were flying, turning up at the airport with their kids/grandkids and finding out their flights are cancelled and no knowledge of it in advance so the stress of trying to rebook a flight if that was even possible, might be avoided.

I hope these strikes effect no one in here

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information