1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Sump Plug Pita!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ALISTAIR STANWAY, Jan 25, 2020.

1. don't joke about turning it the right way, I took a guy on as a bike mechanic a while back and he did exactly that to the sump plug on his first day and ripped it out the casing. on my bike. no, not the ducs.
    what works for me if it feels like its gonna round is, get a hammer (not to big) and repeatedly tap on the sump plug. works every time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I had a difficult sump plug on a GasGas used an impact driver with the tightest fitting Allen I had, worked for me.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Like this at 14 mins?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. pretty much. I never have to use a splitter or puller using a similar technique.

• Like Like x 1
  5. id still use mole grips

6. Some people have never heard of a torque wrench and a manual. o_O I've encountered some ridiculously tight fasteners on 2nd hand bikes, in my time. :worried:

A quick trick to know if you are turning a fastener the correct way if you are working upside down is to use a ratchet and set the direction like you usually would, then turn it over. Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. I;v used a a two man, chisel on the side and socket approach in the past. tapping it repeatedly beforehand does work tho.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That @chizel dude has loads of uses. Who knew he was that talented. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. aye, he's a good loon, not a bonny loon, but he is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. loon=lad. before you kick off. :upyeah:

• WTF WTF x 1
  11. I knew that, you loon. :mad:

12. I was referring to yon other loon. :upyeah:

• Love You Love You x 1
  13. no. no.. i got cha this time... i did kick off about that but it was years ago and i do remember it turns out it wasnt an insult

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. That makes a change. o_O

15. aye, bet yer temper has rounded a few bolts chiz. you need to jeep the heed when dealing with some of these fixings. walk away for five if its getting the better of you. dance less with yer arse to the kipple.
    anyways.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. it does!!! hes a lil hot under the collar at times our fin.. but he means well... and hes cute... (ugly but interesting)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Cut a slot on one side with and use a drift to turn it.
    Try the Torx but tapping at same time?

• Like Like x 2
  18. or just use the mole grips

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  19. Only good sharp toothed ones mind.

20. I don't think there will be anything for mole grips to hang on to.

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information