1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Sump Plug Pita!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ALISTAIR STANWAY, Jan 25, 2020.

1. As above ,i always use a ratchet to be absolutely sure i'm turning the right way, its very easy to get disorientated,i did it once on an old car of mine...i eventually resorted to a 3 foot breaker bar cos i thought it was so tight, i totally rounded off the hex hole and had to have it drilled out and helicoiled.

I would personally run the engine till its hot and if you've tried a torx with no success - try and notch it with a small cold chisel and tap it round with a hammer, they are made of cheese...if that dont work then it will be time to introduce the drill !.....Good luck.

2. Try an electric heat gun on the casing area around the plug and then a chisel at the edge of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thinking one of these will sort it.

F68DA756-9853-47EC-B92D-B3F34F119BAC-huge.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. I've never achieved anything with them. But that might just be me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Yeah tried the heat gun and chisel, taping and torx methods. I'm thinking the 12m extractor will bit into the plug and remove it. Crosses fingers.

6. I have a nagging feeling that my relatively small service job is going to get bigger!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. i maybe want clear enough. I meant tapping the plug with a hammer without any bits or sockets in/on it. it squashes the sump washer just enough to release the plug

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
  8. Ok try some plumbers freeze spray onto the sump plug then do as finm suggests and give it a couple of taps with a hammer.
    Dont get all medieval on its ass or you might end up with a cracked sump.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Makes sense. :upyeah:

Let's hope there is enough squish left on the sump washer after Popeye torqued it up to its present condition though. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. You know it's winter when a thread about a stuck sump plug goes 3+ pages.

FWIW, I'd treat it the same way as a stuck swingarm bolt- liberal spray of penetrant....give it time to soak.... whack with a hammer....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. you wont really know its winter until somebody goes full tonto and calls you a fuggin seizeist

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You fuggin seizeist :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. my money is still on turned it the wrong way.....which should bode well with the fitting of belts:upyeah:;):bucktooth:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Anyone think this’ll be a long thread similar to the stuck sprocket saga?

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Hacksaw blade to make a slot across the bolt head. Gently tap with an impact wrench. It’ll move eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. A Dremel to cut a slot would be easier than a blade, not much to work with down there as its sunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Never seen the likes of them before .... but they look like serious kit
    .... what are they called ?

Do you have a link to where you saw them ?

I spotted the Pulp Fiction reference there ... very cool !
    :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information