1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superduke R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Wayne58, Apr 25, 2017.

1. OK, went for very long test ride on 2017 SDR today, so thanks to Premier Bikes of Didcot for that. In summary, seat is a killer and needs the PP seat. For my height, position and weight etc, it needs the small screen, and possibly some smallish bar risers. Really appreciate skyhook now after riding standard suspension for a while, although the SDR handled brilliant, you do notice that magic carpet when getting back on the DVT, the KTM motor is epic, and the brakes are staggering. Mid corner stability is fantastic and corner exit stomp is amazing. All in all a fantastic upright sports bike. As a second bike, it's awesome and I may well buy one, but if it's your only bike, the multi is a better proposition IMO. Great fun day and the weather was perfect. :)

2. Funny, was going to post in here today as watched an MCN video this morning of the 2017 Naked bike shootout. Probably old now. The KTM came last :(

Aprillia Tuono came first, but i wouldn't buy one due to the stories i have heard about getting parts etc so the video didn't really apply to me or others with prejudices, however small. Also looking at it makes me bring up a bit of sick. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes, but MCN are quite famous for the latest bikes always being the winners in tests, so I'm guessing there was something new out in that video? MT10 maybe?? I like to try stuff rather than listen to MCN, which let's be honest, stands for "more crap than news " :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tuono first, then MT -10, S1000R, then SDR.

I generally base my purchases on looks anyway as i'm very shallow so the first three are a no go anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Was the SDR the 2017 model? I can only suggest try one, they are pretty epic in my opinion.

6. It was yes. I will i think, however my wallet seems to have emptied it's contents at the moment so might be while.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Is neeves wearing fucking eye liner?

Good vid, but even they say, it's all very close, I love V twins so for me, it's the SDR, love the Aprilia but the build quality and horror stories are a concern for me. The BMW for me is a little bit dull, and the empty10 is an acquired taste. :cool:

9. If your just after blasting about then Tuono, Mt10 nice bikes and that v4 sounds amazing. But, and its a big but, lucky to get 90miles from a tank, maybe less on the Tuono. I had a test ride on a V4 a while back (1000cc) and couldnt believe how much petrol I used!
    S1000r is very competent, its also fairly comfy and its easy to ride quick (very). Downside is lack of character and vibes.

10. Yep , looks like Neeves is attempting a Prodigy revival

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I was watching that vid last night....yeah - Neeves looks like he's gone a bit Jack Sparrow...i found myself staring thinking....his eyes don't look right....or he's had a late night/done a few lines....

12. Wearing eye-liner and doesn't like the Superduke: He's gay.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Going to look at one on Saturday at the KTM centre in Hemel Hempstead. Quite excited. Going to take the boy with me so wont be a test ride, just a look and chat.

How is the riding position @Gimlet compared to the SF? I used to have one and remember it being comfortable so if it's as upright as that could be onto a winner.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The 1290 (mine is a 2016) is more upright than the Streetfighter - well, the 1098 anyway. You're not bolt upright, there is some weight on the arms but not as mush as the SF. The bar mounts are asymmetric and can be turned round to push the bars further out if necessary but I find them fine in the standard position. The 2017 Superduke has had the ergonomics tweaked and there's more reach to the bars in an effort to get more weight on the front wheel. Leg room and seat space are about the same as the SF. Wind blast if anything is even less than the SF, which takes some doing. Overall its a very comfortable bike, more so with the Powerparts seat which is nice and plush. The SF is comfortable but the SDR is even better, mainly because your neck isn't bent so much so there's less neck and shoulder strain at prolonged high speed. Its easily an all-day bike.

15. Thanks mate, that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I have an ongoing neck, shoulder and back problem and the 1198s is giving me migraines now (i get them daily if my head is pointed too far upright). Is it a wide bike, i must admit to never having seen one in the flesh?

16. The tank looks wider and you sit (slightly) more in the bike than on it like the SF but it's just as narrow. Walk round it and end-on it disappears. From the back its all tyre. About the same weight as the SF, in other words like a skinned whippet. The bars are wider than the Streetfighter's and require very little input as the steering is light as a feather. Coming from a traditional on-rails Ducati you'd probably over-steer at first. Very little effort required. Brakes are eye-popping and the back one actually works which took some getting used to...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. How reliable are they @Gimlet? i know every bike is different but is the brand KTM seen as a reliable marque? Don't really know much about them, other than they sound nice.

18. I know I'm not Gimlet, but my 3 pennyworth, on a sample of 2 in my riding group, about the same as Ducati with similar issues so you'll get owners who have had no issues and some who have. Both my acquaintances will not be buying another one. Andy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Not what i wanted to hear Andy ;)

Was hoping the SDR could be a one bike does all solution for me. Guess for every bad review though you do get 100 good ones that go unheard.

Did your guys say the dealer back up was a bit rubbish?

20. Biggest issue was the lack of dealers in our area so every problem needed a day or 2 put aside. Both like the riding experience so I'm guessing it is the faff of getting things repaired. Problems were (not all 1 bike) leaking radiator, poor paintwork, poor anodising on fixings, levers and foot rests and speedo display conking out. Sound familiar ? Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information