1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superduke R

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Wayne58, Apr 25, 2017.

1. They show a slip-on for the Superduke on their website but no full system.

2. The Evo doesn't have a cat. The chamber that looks like a cat is a resonator box. There is no converter inside it just baffles and wadding. It deepens the sound and reduces the volume to acceptable levels. I imagine there are pressure advantages to it as well.
    The systems with straight-through link pipes with no mid chamber are usually excessively loud and raspy and from what I've seen of dyno read-outs they're often a struggle to get running right.

3. Good to know, I assumed it was as it looks like one and the full system is so much quieter than the link pipes. I actually prefer the full system sound compared to the hellish link pipe AR options, but each to their own.

There is a full system on eBay but the guy still wants £1,700! I'd sooner buy a new track bike.

4. Dealers were selling them new for that back in the spring when the SEs were being discounted down to 11.5K. £1700 is way too much for a used one (I take it its used..) and it'll need a new airfilter and a remap at a dealer who'll charge for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yep it's a used one... with the 17 you'll also need the gubbins to disable/remove the flapper valve.

Got a good deal on my bike with all the extras so I'm paying a fraction of the RRP for the slip on, which makes it a more attractive option right now. I'm sure next season I'll be trolling for a used system

6. Racefit would make you a full system and will even knock some off the price if they get to use your bike to make it.

7. Nithing against Racefit but when you include the valve removal kit, power commander and dyno, you might as well go Akra.

For me the slip on sounds great, anyway and after owning a 675 for a few months I don't need the extra power :)

Video with guy running slip on.

8. Performance is always my concern with custom made exhausts. Its the most important factor. Its difficult and expensive just to make a system that fits; making one that's tuned to the engine and enhances performance rather than just looking or sounding good is a whole different ballgame.
    Not saying independent manufacturers can't do it, but they'll have to go some to match never mind beat the facilities, resources and economies of scale available to big companies like Akrapovitch and KTM. They can afford to supply any amount of free bikes and a build, scrap and redesign a system a dozen times to get it right because they're going to sell thousands of them.

When a few other priorities have been ticked off I'm going to fit a Rottweiler to mine and get it custom mapped by Dave Wood. It'll be interesting to see the before reading to see what what the bike is doing on the Evo with the factory map.

9. Picked up the bike yesterday and covered 170 miles.

Loved my initial test ride but was not completely blowen away by the big v-twin as a cult motor like some people have indicated, however, after spending a day in the saddle I'm so impressed. The power delivery is silky smooth through the rev range and it pulls like nothing else. I can sit back and cruise at town speeds with the thumping twin as a hugely satisfying soundtrack (slipon Akra sounds fantastic), but when it's time to pick up the pase, the performance is staggering. The supermoto riding position and extra travel now mean I don't have to dodge potholes and gritty road services, which is brilliant as it's opened up a load of extra riding roads that were always a little too ragged for previous performance bikes I've owned.

The keyless ignition is a bit of a faff but I'm sure I'll get used to it. It also dumped a load of coolant after the ride back from the dealer, but it was just over filled.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wait till you've run it in....
    It seems pretty certain that KTM have loaded a running-in map to Superdukes. After your 600 miles service it'll open up and after 1000 miles when you can give it the full berries it'll be a different animal. Like all engines they loosen up with mileage. Mine's on 11500 miles and its never felt better.

A while ago I'd convinced myself there was something wrong with it after it picked up some dodgy fuel.
    Then I went for a ride to Hartland Quay with a couple of other riders on a Fazer and an R1M. I was at the back and we'd been stuck behind three cars through a wiggly bit of road. When it opened the Fazer grabbed his chance and went past and the R1 put the hammer down and followed. There wasn't enough room for me as there was another bend coming up and when I got a chance the others had disappeared so I gunned it in pursuit. In fourth gear with an open road I gave it a proper fistful and up came the front wheel. Yep, nothing wrong with it. I'd just got used to it.

Most people have never pinned the throttle on their Dukes but if you do the result is devastating but make sure the MTS is on because it'll flip in third. :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Over-filled cooling systems is common with KTMs. Many of them empty the header tank for no obvious reason and when it's refilled to the correct level they never do it again. My 1190 did that. Noticed the tank was nearly empty just before a trip to Wales, topped it up and 3000 miles later it hasn't moved a mm. I've never had to put any in the Superduke, which is just as well because the level isn't that easy to see.

Keep an eye on it but unless there's a leak there's no great cause for concern. Don't know about the Superdukes but the 1190's rad doesn't have the best mounting insulation and some people, especially the off road boys, have had vibration fractures, but that's unlikely to be an issus on the Duke for normal road riding.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Cheers Gimlet, good to know. At the moment the one drawback of KTM ownership is the lack of web forum activity, all the sites I've found are fairly inactive!

I took it back to the dealer and they checked it out and all seems fine. The worst part was the mrs coming out to see my brand new, controversial, bike leaking all over the driveway...

The first service can't some soon enough, can't wait to give it some real beans. The anti wheelie mode will be off all of the time :)

#112 Jimmy899, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  13. I turned the MTC off on mine about 6000 miles ago. I've got the dongle fitted so it stays off. Its a 2016 so the electronics aren't as sophisticated as yours. With that smooth and progressive throttle I just don't think its needed.
    But then I'm not one of those riders who just nail the throttle and leave the electronics to sort it all out. I like to know what's going on.

#113 Gimlet, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  14. Come on @Jimmy899, we want to see some pix!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. The Supertwins forum is pretty good for technical discussions. There's some great info on there.
    http://www.ktmsmt.com/viewforum.php?f=26&sid=9512525bf84166750ae944e0d97b63b9

The UK KTM forum is more banter and there's a lot of off-road/supermoto stuff on there.
    The Superduke forum has some useful threads to search through but currently its a bit of a dead loss. A private talking shop for half a dozen members so it seems. I've given up.

Supertwins for info, KTM UK for laughs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Would love to see yours aswell Gimlet if you have pix?

17. So far the electronics seem a step up from my 15 Tuono, but the real test will be after the first service.

I was too busy riding for pics yesterday, and the shitty weather ruined my plans today. I'll get some up when it drys up and I'm next out, so probably 2018!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nothing recent but this is at about 2500 miles last year.
    DSC00651.JPG

And at about 6000.
    11500 now but still looks just as clean only the exhaust is a bit bluer now.
    DSC00819.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  19. God I love the look of the full system, mainly because on the 17 bike it gives a much cleaner look with all the Euro 4 crap removed. Having said that, the fueling is so good I'm scared to change anything.

20. The Evo map gives a more aggressive throttle response. Fuelling is still spot on but in Sport (or Off) its definitely more aggressive. But that's a good thing in my view.

If you can, get the full system. Sounds fabulous and really opens up the engine. Nothing to worry about, it only makes the bike better.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information