1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superlight High Level Exhaust Brackets

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Mr-Superlight, Jun 25, 2018.

1. The subframe to exhaust bracket on the left side of my SL broke yesterday whilst out. Fortunately I managed to bodge a fix to get me home but I now need another. I guess it could be repaired but it wouldn't look too pretty as the break is right at the point where the bracket from the rear subframe is bolted to the silencer bracket, think it cracked right across the hole where the bolt goes through.
    I can get the remade stainless ones that Steve Bailey offers so things aren't so bad as I thought they might be.
    My bike has done around 20,000 miles so after I had a search, and the fact that someone makes a stronger alternative I wonder how common this failing is ? I've found a supplier for a new genuine part at a decent price but I wonder if the stainless version is really a much safer bet now and also what adaptions there might be with them. Do these utilise the rubber grommets (that are sandwiched by the bolt attaching bracket to silencer bracket) ? Anyone used these stainless versions see any issues with them or are they a good move?

2. I made my own - I was going to use 3mm stainless, but I used 4mm stainless in the end.

They were effectively in 4 parts - the hanger threaded at the bottom with a nut welded to the back (made a longer thread), the bracket bolted to the silencer can, a rubber grommet in the bracket, and a top hat bush pushed into the grommet - fixing bolt went through bracket, bush and into the hanger thread. The small end of the bush was tight against the hanger so that left the can isolated from vibration because of the grommet.

Never cracked or broke, plus I could adjust them with a slight bend if things weren't even.

IIRC Steve Bailey may have used the pattern of my hangers for his versions. I know I said he could if necessary.

Anyway the ones on mine are below.

I think I still have the whole lot as a Cad drawing.

AL

now1a.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Very professional job!

4. I bought some originals, measured up, and modeled in Autocad Inventor. I have the profiles or can slightly change if you give me some dimensions.
    Not realy sure how to deal with the spot welded circular end bits but if you want some .dxf files to do your own will be happy to supply.
    Will have a look where they are when I get to work Monday.

Cheers Gaz

5. Thanks for the offers of help - I got my bracket welded up last week and it looks to be pretty strong (better than the original tbh) so hopefully it will last a good few miles yet. I am aware of the potential for the other side to rack so I'm keeping a sharp eye on it and now that I know that repair seems a viable option I may have the RHS welded if it needs it.

6. Not totally clear if what you ended up with was a full complement of components ?

I've got my bracket sorted but now, with closer examination of all of the silencer attachments bits on both sides of the bike I see that the bracket that bolts to the can itself is showing signs of cracking, and that is on both sides of the bike. One of the sides has a crack at the rear-most bolt hole, the other has a crack at the forward of the 2 bolt holes. My guess is that the bracket and the can don't have perfectly matched radii (radius?) and when the bracket is bolted to the can it is stressed, cannot deform and in time it is likely to crack.
    My understanding is that these brackets are essentially part of the silencer assembly so can't be bought from Ducati. This may be something to discuss with the guys that already successfully repaired my bracket to see how this could be resolved. Mine has done 20k miles so it's lasted ok really.
    Steel maybe a better material for this purpose as it can be bent with less risk of catastrophic failure?

7. Probably inevitably but on only the 2nd run I've had on the bike this year I discovered that the same bracket I got repaired last year has a new significant crack so it's time I feel to replace, not fix. I've emailed Steve to see if he has a set of the brackets.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Why not get a good hanger so you can use it as a pattern and have a pair made in stainless steel?

Making the set the same as mine may not work out because they were purpose made so that I could properly fit the Laser cans and fixed link pipes which were intended for an SSIE rather than the carbed model.

9. If you look at my for sale post I’ve got pics of my bike (now sold) and parts that I have/had for sale. I’ve still got the hangers if that’s the kind of thing you’re after?

10. Hi, yes I think yours are exactly what I have and need to replace. I've now seen that the brackets on the silencers are cracking and really need to be replaced so I am looking at a replacement that resolves that issue also.
    Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information