1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supersport S Owner Review

Discussion in 'Supersport (2016 onwards)' started by Ravenscry, May 1, 2017.

1. Hi all, my first post here. Just wanted to thank OP, and make a little correction to the first post - it's an L-twin as opposed to a V-twin, if that makes a difference, and wanted to share my experience with the Supersport S. I currently own a 2015 BMW S1000R with 15,500 miles, and previously owned a Kawi Ninja 650, and started out on a Ninja 250.

I just got done test riding a white SS-S a couple of hours ago for roughly 20-25 minutes. I am seriously considering purchasing this bike. Everything that has been said so far is spot on.

Just to get the main bad issues out of the way: the mirrors do vibrate like crazy and don't provide great visibility as arms/elbows are in the way. I don't know what would be involved with the stock mirrors/turn signals when switching to bar end mirrors instead, and not sure how good that would look. I didn't ride the bike long enough to get familiar with what the sweet spot in the RPM range is to reduce vibration, if possible.

I think something may have been off with the demo bike as the acceleration and shifting weren't smooth at all times, and it might be related to the issues I list below with the quick shifter, or maybe something with the mapping, but again, I think it's something with the demo bike because no one has yet to mention anything about this. By not smooth at all times I mean that there was slight hesitation as I was applying throttle, accelerating at a decent rate. I did however like that there didn't seem to be much engine braking. So yeah, I didn't judge the bike too much based off of this because it's a demo bike and I don't know how bad it's been abused by previous demo-ers.

Onto the good: The bike handles like it's on a rail. Holds lines beautifully and the suspension is just amazing. I mean it's Ohlins. I'm guessing it'll be even better once tuned just for me and my weight. Barely felt the bumps on a very bumpy road. It almost felt like the bike went where I looked just by turning my head. It feels so much lighter than what they say it weighs. Super nimble, super easy to ride.

The quick shifter seemed clunky but I don't remember if I let off the throttle or if I wasn't at the right RPM or accelerating fast enough. I honestly just don't know how to use it well so I feel like I'm better off not saying anything else about it. The reviews all say that it works great so I'm gonna take their word for it.

The bike is super comfortable and did a decent job of shielding me from the wind. I had the screen in the lowest position and didn't realize that I could've lifted it up while I rode until after the ride but it was still decent.

The bike looks amazing. The pictures don't do it justice, especially the white. I'm pretty sure I got a little neck strain from turning back to look at it a few times every time I walked away from it.

The exhaust had a nice little rumble to it but I wouldn't mind if it was a little louder.

I would miss my heated grips from the S1000R but it looks like it's an available accessory. I'm gonna miss the power for sure, going from 160 hp and 83 lbs/ft to 113 hp / 71 lbs/ft, but I'm sure that's something I'd get used to after a while. I just like being able to zoom away at the twist of the wrist but all the things that the SS do better than the S1000R would be a fair trade.

One thing I didn't like is where my knees/thighs go. Usually I'd be able to hug the tank or the area underneath with my legs and it would be flush with whatever my legs are touching, but on the SS it didn't feel right. I tried moving around on the seat, but sitting further back made me sit a bit weirder since the seat arches up at the back. I felt like the most comfortable position is sitting near the front of the seat where I kind of just fit comfortably. My legs seemed to be touching the little black parallelogram that's right under the seat and tank. If I had more time with the bike I might be able to figure out what's going on. I feel like this isn't a deal breaker and something I would either figure out or get used to.

One thing I'm kind of nervous about is how hot the bike gets. Today was about 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit and after a short ride my legs were starting to get toasty. I'm wondering if it gets hotter than that and how bad it would be on a 90 degree F day. I'm used to not being able to see anything in the mirrors as far as vibration goes because the S1000R has that same issue (bar end mirrors helped a lot but didn't eliminate the issue). Other than that it's a bike that I'm very psyched for. Hopefully the $ numbers come out desirable then it'll be in my garage possibly this weekend if not earlier.

I'm really leaning towards purchasing the bike. I need something with better wind protection on the highway as I commute 40 miles each way a day, along with longer group rides on weekends. I also want the handling the SS provides for those group rides and the few times a year I go to the track.

2. Welcome Dave. Just buy it. It'll be heaps better than that German crap you've got :p

• Like Like x 2
  3. I dunno where you got Dave from but thanks! I wonder how much bias there is in your statement ;) I am going on Saturday and hopefully coming back home with it. I'll miss my S1000R but I'm very excited about the prospect of getting the SS.

4. Had a serious look at a Supersport S but my fiscal sanity prevailed thankfully. Have owned a 96 900ss Superlight for 20 years - with gentle mods has been dynoed at the back wheel with 80 bhp and 67lb ft torque, weighs 75% of the new Supersport so power to weight not so far off, does 50mpg and costs me less than £100/yr to service. Oddly is now also worth what i paid for it and makes me grin like an idiot everytime i go for ride. New SS is pretty mind you...though i do question what advantage 20 years of design progress has been achieved. Great vid on utube of North Cal Duke club all on modern 4 valve injected Ducatis getting smoked by a guy on a two valve carbed air cooled Superlight...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hello again,

Been a while since I started the thread so I thought I would have an update.

Bad news first !

To the twat that parks up around Snowdon street London on one of those lumpy scooters, when you pulled away whilst my bike was stationary minding it's own business you twisted the mirror 90 degrees and stripped the threads on the bolts.... I hope you catch a nasty disease in the trouser department and you D@"k falls off.

Bit of rattling in the nose "I think" it's the cables rattling against the faring, or maybe in the windshield workings. Only seems to happen in 1,2 gears when picking up speed. I tinkered around abit today and for now it seems ok.

Good news

I'm so pleased with the SuperSport that the Monster 821 has gone up for sale... and I love that bike !

If your in the market : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192206420846?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Don't get me wrong the SuperSport is not perfect in my humble opinion of course. It lacks the punch I would like from a standing start and if it just had an extra 20BHP that would tick all the boxes for me.

So this leads me to into trying to create the bike I want. The guys at Pro Twins helped me with my Monster so we will be going through the same process again.

More pull off the lights: Changing the front sprocket

BHP = Akra full racing system is sitting in a box waiting to get strapped on... should give an extra 5-7 BHP I will stick it up on a Dyno and let you guys know what it spits out.

Wheels : I need some help here please, do I go Carbon Fibre ? Forges Alloys ? or Magnesium ? Please bare in mind this bike gets used 40 miles a day rain or shine on London Roads.

If anyone has any useful tips on getting some more BHP and pull off the lights your input would be greatly appreciated.

Love this bike !

• Like Like x 1
  6. Its your money in the search for more power, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ducati bring out a beefier version of the Supersport at some stage in the next year or two. They are on to a great thing with it.
    The handling is superb.. I agree its on rails... solid but feels light, its comfortable and it's fun... makes my 1200 Monster feel clunky.
    I want one.. if only like you say it had a bit more pep.....
    Having said this I do think this is a bike that one could use for road duties and feel like your enjoying the entire range of... most Ducati's I've ridden on the road I only use a small percentage of what they are capable of.

7. Air Temp 22.5C
    Air Pressure 1001 mBar
    Humidity 47.7%
    RAD 95.1 %

Max Power 97.27 BHP @ 9144.6 rpm
    Max Torque 67.3 Ft/lb @ 7019.5 rpm

now compare this to Ducati's tech spec :

▂Power
    81 kW (110 hp) @ 9,000 rpm *

▂Torque
    93 Nm (69 lb-ft) @ 6,500 rpm *

* The power/torque values indicated are measured using an engine dynamometer according to homologation regulation and they correspond to the homologated data, as quoted in the Bike Registration Document.

8. They all lie.
    Anyone had the fairing off? How easy and how long?

9. Thanks for posting
    Manufacturers normally quote at the crank ?
    Are those figures with the full system fitted?

10. This maybe of help

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yep that is with the full system installed. The bike has 3750 miles on him and about 1500 with the system on.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information