1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diavel Surely Not? For An Exhaust!.....

Discussion in 'Diavel & XDiavel' started by Lel Howard, Apr 17, 2017.

1. I was thinking of asking for free delivery (normally £99) and service.... it is £10,000 after all.

2. Bought my 2011 Diavel a year ago, it had 8,000 miles on the clock. The dealer included the belt service within the price, and I paid less than the £10k the Honda dealer is asking for. You might be able to make an offer if you can hang on until the end of the month and the dealer is looking to close deals to push the sales figures up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If your looking to spend around 10k there's a few on fleabay with less mileage and some with aftermarket cans and goodies

4. Looked on there and can't find better combination.... less miles yes, but the miles are not high so a fair trade off for everything else being right.... has new tyres, rear back rest which I would need to buy otherwise & all original parts included.

5. Bike bought :) Ducati DIAVEL Carbon ABS 1200cc

Also got basic service, free delivery, 12 months Honda warranty and £45 off.... took two days of hard negotiating to get that much.

6. Looks a nice bike, hope you enjoy it.

You do need to check the service history though, at 5 years old (regardless of mileage), which yours will be this year, it needs a full belt service, not a basic service. A full belt service could be £350 or more depending where you go.

7. Yes, they can sort belt service but I'd have to pay the extra, thought being 4,000 miles shy of 15,000 it wouldn't need doing for a bit

8. Hi

Belts are done on age not mileage, in theory, even if the bike had 1 mile on it, the belts should be done at 5 years.

The 15,000 mile service is valve clearances and belts, which is probably £650 plus.

I'm not trying to put you off, just giving info that maybe you can use to negotiate the deal.

Suggest you phone a decent Ducati dealer, give them the age / mileage etc and ask what service is due and the typical cost.

9. The Honda dealer does a lot of work with Ducati and mentioned he gets a good price from them so will phone tomorrow to see how much he can get it done for.... he thought circa £400 but was guessing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. We always supply pictures of bike in bits and all old parts back for any major jobs.

Seems to be popular with out customers and no question about what's been done.

11. Radiators have to be removed to perform the 15,000 mile valve check on the Gen 1 (18,000 miles on Gen 2). Combined with removing panels etc, the labour is likely to push the service cost to around £700.

A coolant change is required every 4 years, so costs can be contained if this coincides with the valve check service when the radiators come off.

12. 5th year/15000 mile service at an approved Ducati service agent charging in the region of £65/hour +vat will cost a £1000+ including belts, oil, filter and sundries. As the 5th year/15000 mile service is a valve clearance check, budget more if any of the shims require adjustment. Also be prepared to shell out for chain and sprockets if you have done more than 10000 miles and haven't already changed them yet. Personal experience having a (just) 5 year old gen 1 Diavel in the family. Andy

#32 Android853sp, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  13. The joys :/

14. Don't get all down about the big numbers being thrown around.

Pick the phone up and call a couple of Ducati dealers. Give them the age and mileage, then ask what services are due and typical costs.

Check the details out for yourself, then you will know the facts and what to expect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I'll be phoning the last two service places at 9 to find out what they have done so far.

Then the seller to see what deal he can get for me....

But as it's 5 years old now, based on what's been said it's not cheap and I haven't even got the bike yet.... but that said, at least once it's done it's done I guess.

Services so far from Ducati dealers:
    1st 815 miles 24/05/2012 2nd 3300 3rd 4316 miles 14/11/2013 4th 7353 miles 20/09/2014 all at Woods motorcycles and 5th SMC 8215 miles on 21/01/16

But as Honda dealer is doing an oil & filter service that'll save a tiny bit :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. My post was intended to inform not put off. We are a Ducati family by choice and use a main dealer by choice. My girlfriend wouldn't swap her Diavel for any other bike although she does fancy having a Scrambler as well. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  17. Same here, post intended to inform and maybe help you negotiate a deal.

I've had various Ducati for 15 years, and wouldn't swap.

If you think belts at 5 years is bad, when I first got my 749r, that was belts every year :flushed:. Thankfully Ducati revised that to 2 years if used for road only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The valve service figure I referred to came (verbally) from a well respected Ducati Service Centre. When you consider this is a 15,000 or 18,000 mile cost and the cost of the annual services, then the running cost of modern Ducatis looks quite reasonable compared to some other makes. They are certainly much less expensive to run these days, compared with Ducatis of years ago.

BMWs twins need valve checks every 12,000 miles or 2 years, their IL4s go longer, but the valve check service will be at least as much as same on a Ducati.

You also have to consider the cost of annual & mileage related services on any bike. Many other bikes have service intervals of just 6,000 miles, and they're not free!

The old adage applies: If it has tits or tyres, it's going to cost you.

Put it into perspective against what people spend on their enjoyment: Watching sport live is expensive, as is smoking, drinking etc. If you enjoy it & can afford it, then why shouldn't you?

Enjoy your new Ducati. If you think in terms of cost per smile, the cost figure will be very low! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm not put off, I appreciate how helpful everyone has been on here :) even if it is a little disheartening faced with a bill when I haven't even got it yet.... but I don't do a lot of miles so that should be the only big expense for several years now :)

20. As well as the original exhaust it also comes with this one :) but I think in black.

Also noticed in picture, among other upgrades is the rear shock which is Ohlins

IMG_2021.JPG

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information