1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surprising Cover Versions

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 749er, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Well, it isn't Led Zeppelin who actually covered Willie Dixon's 'I can't quite you babe' and subsequently covered by The Rolling Stones.

The Stones also covered Willie Dixon's 'Little Red Rooster' first covered by Chester Burnett.

Otis Redding's 'Been loving you too long'.....covered by the Stones and then Led Zeppelin.

The one you were supposed to guess is 'Spoonful'.......

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bob Dylan (wrote it and performed it) and U2 did a cover on Rattle and Hum, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Prince's cover of Joan Osbourne's "(What if God Was) One of Us" isn't really surprising as it actually sounds like something he would have written but I love the original and IMO his gospelly rocky version surpasses it...

#23 Zhed46, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1

4. “Surprising” might not be the right adjective for Alan Partridge playing air-bass along to Gary Newman’s “Music for Chameleons” but it’s certainly memorable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2

6. Metal cover of Post Malone's "Better Now"

7. Spanish flamenco duet Rodrigo Y Gabriela do some amazing Metallica covers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Surprising Cover Versions? Here's mad Roger Troutman's cover of Heard it Through the Grapevine..... !

Starts with promise... turns to shit

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ha ha! I love Roger/Zapp. He was doing the autotune/ vocoder thing decades before anybody else and “More Bounce to the Ounce” was basically the backing track for half the 90s gangsta rap records, yet outside of 80s funk aficionado circles, hardly anyone has heard of him

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Motörhead covering David Bowie’s “Heroes”

• Like Like x 1

11. young Brian at work

• Like Like x 2

13. You can’t get much more surprising than Lewis Floyd Henry, a motorbike riding busker who looks and sounds like Jimi Hendrix doing a one-man-band mash up of Metallica and the Wu Tang Clan. Madder still, he carries all his stuff around with him on his bike.

That spot (Brick Lane) is only a couple of hundred metres from where one of my friends lives and I’ve seen this guy play in person, though I don’t know if it was this actual performance.

And here, doing a version of The Prodigy’s “Breathe”

#34 Zhed46, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  16. That’s awesome! There’s a lot of talent though probably not a lot of genetic diversity on show there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. One of my favourite bands from my youth, The Meteors, did some good covers.
    These boots are meant for walking was a good one:

Their live shows were just mad.

The Sex pistols also put some great covers on Flogging a Dead Horse, like C'Mon Everybody and Something Else.

Nasher.

#38 Nasher, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1

18. I thought I’d seen another cover of Sound of Silence in the thread but it seems to have disappeared.:thinkingface:

I nominated this guy (David Draiman) in the rock singer thread. This cover builds and builds and is just jaw-dropping .....

#39 Zhed46, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information