1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Suspension Settings

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by cookster, Jun 11, 2017.

1. hi guys after riding that beemer yesturday as made me realise how hard my 1198 suspension is.

Is there anyone who could run though how i make it softer for the road as im not tracking it any more(other than silverstone end of the month) its only twiddling with a few screws im sure i can manage that.

bike is running a ttx ohlins on the rear and standard showa on the front.

also ive been trying to work out which spring i have on the rear,ive googled the numbers but its about as clear as mud. spring number is 21040-24/80 L528

im 13 stone with all my kit on cheers.

2. Start with the sag and work from there. Rider 50 front and 40 rear will make if far more compliant, if you can get that far...

3. I've got 30 rear 40 front so not far away.Now I've had a fiddle. The joys of you tube.

#3 cookster, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  4. Think is, the rear will be sensitive to change and one or two clicks can make a reasonable difference where the front will need big change (unless it's been upgraded) to feel the adjustments :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I've slackened the compression right off the rear and a bit off the front. Also slackened of the rebound a couple of clicks feels a lot smoother.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ok, you appear to have the same rear spring rate that I had on my 1098s when I bought it (80 newtons per mm). I weigh 10 stone or there abouts. I (and quite a few others) put a STIFFER rear spring onto the bike, under direct recommendation from JHP. The thinking was that the spring was too soft and had way too much preload to compensate. This made the rear very harsh. Putting a stiffer spring on and dialling in less preload seemed to be counter-intuitive, but it really worked. I went from an 80 to an 85.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information