1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Ap50

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Jim89, Aug 7, 2020.

1. I've got this 1977 Suzuki AP50 to get up to a reasonable standard. My uncle bought it new in 1977 and it has been in storage since 1993. I'm not clued up on two strokes or carbs for that matter. I was born in 1989. This is a cool little bike. 20200801_194112.jpg
    It's not in the best condition. So I'm going to start with getting the engine running first. Then brakes and tyres then look into the cosmetis. It's got a fuel leak though so I haven't attempted to start it yet. It's got fuel pouring out of the bottom of the engine. Its leaking out of the pipe circled below. The throttle was jammed as well, which I've freed off for now.
    20200803_110625.jpg

Anyone on here know much about these? Any good places to find parts? I've found wemoto sell a complete carb for £73. Will save me stripping it and the prices on the Suzuki vintages parts website will add up fast!

• Like Like x 6
  2. Drop the engine out and start stripping it. Carb, just clean and maybe a little rebuild kit. There is a little float at the bottom of the carb, prob just stuck and over flowing. The carb is a simple little thing to take apart.

Pull the head, check piston, crank etc etc etc.

Nice little bike, worth spending a little time on it, doubt it would take much to get it running.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Just like my first bike PCU448R.
    The float is stuck, that’s why it’s leaking from there. As said, probably just gummed up with old fuel.

Keep us posted how it progresses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. My first legal bike at 16 years of age was an AP50 just like that but blue ... the faster colour ;-)

Take it from me, it *needs* a Micron expansion chamber, drop handlebars and a bikini fairing ... and you *need* a Bell Star 2 helmet, black 9-hole Doc Martens, a pair of jeans and a black leather lancer-style jacket with red quilted lining. Them’s the rules :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I initially thought there was a rubber hose missing from that pipe at the bottom.

With it not being moved in 27 years I'd rather get new parts for peace of mind. They're probably well past it. I'll get a list of parts together and start stripping it.

6. Haha I was told the red ones were faster!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. That’s looking great condition for a “Sixteener Special”, most of which were thrashed mercilessly for a year by each of a succession of ignorant teenagers learning through errors about riding and need for maintenance.
    Get that one sorted then you’ll want to pair it with a Garelli Tiger Cross or Gilera

• Like Like x 1
  8. No x ray vision here unfortunately. It was more to check for the cost of parts and availability if needed really.

9. RWU27R was mine ... and its the blue ones that were the fastest lol.
    On the spares front, Suzuki have reissued loads of spares under their vintage bikes program. The AP50 does feature in that so you can get lots of parts from a Suzuki dealer and know it is right. The parts are not generally over priced either :) Always worth checking there first

I have added an old AP50 parts catalogue to my post here :) Hopefully you can download it and make use of it .. its as old as the bikes are though so even on scan, it looks worn out

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I have another parts catalogue for the AP too, but its over 3 meg and too big to add on here. If you want hat as well, message me an email addy and I wills end you that too. Its very similar, just covers slightly different models ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. You forgot:
    Acne
    Mullet hairdo
    Ridiculously large flared jeans
    A tasteful tank top...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Will do, thanks:upyeah:
    Screenshot_20200807-161514_Drive.jpg Surprised you can get removable baffles for them!:joy:

13. I was close to having a mullet a couple of months ago!o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. What a fantastic project :) I love the pedal!

• Like Like x 1
  15. No way man! Mine was blue, PLU 451R and I was caught speeding on it at 53 (yes 53) mph. Beat that !

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RRP355R red was mine I’m sure it did 100 km/hr

17. MIne was quick, but I am sure I was not a fat bast back then. If I was, deffo not as chunky as now lol.

Before the AP50, I had a Malaguti Olympique GT, complete with racing tank, seat, clip ons and a one into two exhaust system ...Fast

... nope it was shit actually, all noise and no go ( a bit like the Mrs is now) :D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Anyone into mopeds of that era needs this book. I’ve just got one off eBay for about fifteen quid. Takes you right back to being 16 again.

4F9D0BBE-0D49-44B9-B792-2ABF3A8F7850.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Had a second hand AP50 my parents bought for me as a 16th birthday present, insured using savings £160 TPTF. Can't recall the reg number.

My parents gave me the option of a brand new moped which were restricted to 30 MPH from factory or an older unrestricted and therefore faster model.

Great times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. You need to sell it... now... £350 and I can collect.

• Funny Funny x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information