1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Rg500

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Messer, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Still got the original motor, but I built it to Cosworth spec so runs a genuine Cosworth a2 camshaft, lotus elan sprint spec valves, lotus rods, lotus oversize Pistons, flower head, twin 40 webers. It's 105hp, original spec was 78 for the GT so nice improvement and goes well. Sounds great too.

IMG_2217.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. That is one hell of bike right there. I longed for one in the 80's :upyeah: Saw this yesterday and although it's very nice I still prefer the untouched look of the original though.

Ebay

s-l1600.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. As 2 strokes are being shown, hope it's ok to show some pics of a mates RG Spondon?
    rg1.jpg rg2.jpg rg3.jpg rg4.jpg rg5.jpg rg6.jpg rg7.jpg rg8.jpg rg9.jpg rg10.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. Beautiful bike, just one tiny thing, why are the tail exhausts not central ?? (Or is it just the photo ??)

6. All finished up and ran in now. Had practical sportsbikes editor Jim Moore round last week to write up the article for next months edition. Looking forward to that.

Bike is running a dream and goes like stink

IMG_8059.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  7. Ready to flog it now then? :p

8. Actually, I had a couple of offers but have declined as decided to keep it! A chap in Norway offered me £14,500 for it..

9. Hi Messer, I am writing for some practical advice concerning what best to do with my RG500. In the mid 90s it was my transport but was put into what was expected to be short term storage when I went abroad for a while. It is still in storage and this hasn't been done particularly well. There is corrosion and it will likely need a fair amount of attention to get turning and started. Is this wise without first stripping?

Ideally I would like to get the bike running and use it again for personal transport but my finances are a bit tight. Alternatives seem to be: 1) sell it as is, 2) get it running for minimum cost and effort and sell it needing work or 3) a long steady project to restore properly.

How difficult and costly was it for you to find the bits you needed for your project? Knowing what you now know would you take on your project again?

10. I’ve sent you a pm

11. cool, was she originally living on the Isle of Wight ?

12. No born and butchered in Athens this one.

13. looks like an IOW reg no , sorry mate

• Like Like x 1
  14. OK. Thanks.

15. Just seen this old post and WOW what a great job. You must have great patience!

My RG500 had the 2nd gear go at 80mph locking everything up and punching holes in top and btm crankcases. The rebuild was an absolute ordeal and took 2 years. Then sold and still miss the bike :(
    RG500.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. Was the 2 years mainly looking around to find suitable parts? How/where did you source the big parts?

17. I can only imagine so! Parts are getting hard to find now. Mark sent was asking 2500 for a bodywork set 2 years ago!
    Set of jdm spec mirrors like mine are now 400, nose cone 500. I sold my original pipes for a grand.. I had to have pistons from a custom batch for a spec from wossner, gearbox was custom made as originals let fly as per above.

Most engine part and bolt/bracket etc are easy to get though from the likes of discountsuzukispares.. he has had a few bob out of me!!

18. On the Subject of RG5s. Heres my Mark Dent built RG5 motor in a RGV250 frame. Been a Labour of love over the last ten years!

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

• Like Like x 13
    • Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information