1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swearing

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rob, May 26, 2012.

?

Should we filter out swearing

Poll closed Jun 25, 2012.
  1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    79.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks for the constructive response. Now we are getting somewhere.

The interesting part of the paper you helpfully referenced is that the authors use value-terms like “offensive”, “taboo”, and “unpleasant” to refer to their specimen swear words, without explanation. They themselves are evidently neither offended, nor bound by the taboo, nor deterred by any unpleasantness, but implicitly they assume they are justified in taking offense on behalf of other people.

As regards vocabulary, we can all agree (surely?) that use of a wider vocab is a good thing, and a narrow, limited vocab is a bad thing. I would argue that having the full range of swear words available to us (as well as all the other words, obviously) means that we have a wider vocabulary and can express a greater range of thoughts, arguments and emotions; if a list of naughty words are taboo, that means our vocab is necessarily smaller. Just because I sometimes say fuck does not reduce the rest of my vocabulary, or my understanding, by one iota. Your suggestion that “ … by not swearing we actually increase the lexicon of our language” cannot be right. If we were to use swear words exclusively, that would indeed narrow our range – but that is the straw man here. I mentioned some contexts in which we might artificially restrict our own vocab for good reasons, and talking to your boss about your job (as in the link you gave) was one I mentioned.

[h=1]I took it for granted that censorship includes self-censorship. There is nothing the censorious like better than for everyone to censor themselves (which you refer to as “self restraint”), so they can gag people without even incurring the opprobrium of using the iron fist themselves. If you are interested, Nick Cohen’s book You Can't Read This Book: Censorship in an Age of Freedom (Fourth Estate 2012) is informative on how censorship works in the modern world, i.e. mainly through induced self-censorship. [/h]
    The “sanctimonious prigs” I was referring to are not “…anyone that disagrees with [me]” but anyone who tries to restrict other peoples’ freedoms by claiming to be subjectively offended. They should get over themselves! The issue is rather similar to the current campaign in Parliament about whether people should have a legal right not to be “insulted” – see Public Order Act 1986 section 5. In my view (and most peoples’ views) all free citizens should have a right to insult one another, and it is wrong for anyone to be able to use the law to prevent this.

2. By swearing, we neither shorten nor lengthen our vocabulary. What we do is to shorten our outpourings, and swearing serves that aim superbly. Here's an example:

You're talking bollocks, Pete...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Swearing is like speeding - fun, mildly rushing/adrenalin inducing, Big & Clever - and only wrong when done in the wrong place at the wrong time or seen by some humourless sex-starved fkwit who needs to get out more/have some good things in life...

I work in a warehouse, with colleagues, staff & lorry drivers - it is in places a stressy, time-driven environment - and a string of swearing would sound more In Place & vogue than a "blimin' heck, I just smashed my shin!"

Whilst I am careful with any "c*nt" expletives, which even now will raise the eyebrow of a scouse trucker - "f*ck" is a part of modern day language.

Amen. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I thought we were doing well with self monitoring.

5. As an Anglican Minister I for one find the use of such profanitys whether in the spoken or written word most offensive.

6. Am I fuck......:biggrin:

7. Twat:wink:

8. If its not directed as a personal insult then I dont think it should be filtered at all Its only words . I can take and give a personal Insult so I wouldnt be offended . Some would though just look at the footballer issue with the likes of John Terry and that other black guy . ???.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Not been offended on here..
    I hate to hear or see the See you next Tuesday word.

It's funny that most people hate that one word ..
    That's the main word I really don't like and I myself would have to be incensed to use it in conversation .
    Seems a nice crowd on here so I'd leave it be and if anyone does get a bit foul send them to the naughty step

• Like Like x 1
  10. Just for you,

"Big Brother" was a human embodiment of the State (arguably based upon the US character of "Uncle Sam") used to control the masses.
    One of the ways this was achieved was by deliberately reducing the language available to the masses.

If you want your opinions to be taken seriously you stand a far greater chance of that happening if you have a wider vocabulary and can express yourself clearly.
    That is why Little Plum from The Beano has not been used to front any political campaigns.

Is the Beano OK? Hope this helps.

11. A work of sheer genius but not as good as it used to be.

12. Private Eye - Arkell vs Pressdram - legendary genius :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I love the Beano, thank you darling, love and kisses xxx

14. What a load of bollocks.

15. Ah Private Eye, well said Sir!

I have long missed the Dear Bill letters. I even bought a copy of the Dear Bill book, satirical brilliance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information