1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swollen Yuasa Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by rodericb, Jan 8, 2019.

1. I've a brilliant life thanks, nothing against Lithium at all, brilliant technology.
    Witless sheep following the herds risking there beautiful Ducatis is my mission to present the facts.
    Horses for courses, you message above is full of miss direction and information.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I'm flying today - down to Perranporth :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maybe he could tell us how the charging system should be modified?

I've been using my Shorai LiFePo on a 999 with a stock reg/rec since the summer of 2015. And my bike also has a dash that shows a warning in case the reg fails :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Each machine/model would need checking to see what they have as standard; the location of regulator/rectifier and components chosen in relation to design limits.
    The reason I try to give the same advice, over and over again, is that I've actually seen Lithium batteries that have damaged very expensive Ducati's due to mismatch of battery technology to bike charging circuit.
    If the regulator/rectifier is in a cool place and the design has wide limits, then the fitting of Lithium battery may not cause the regulator to run so hot as to cause an issue.
    I've NEVER discussed what the bike will do to the battery, just what the battery does to the Ducati circuit.
    It would appear that my questioning of the wisdom of spending much £££ on an "upgrade" clouds certain posters ability to read the actual words used. No one likes to think they've wasted cash and may even destroy their bike.
    We see a similar reaction on Oil and Oil filters......
    "I've used a £3 filter for years never had a problem".... fine...
    You can buy a £20 crash helmet with the same stickers as my £1000 one....
    I've just don't see my head being worth £20 worth of protection, but others may disagree.

#24 AirCon, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
  5. What special measures are you taking to avoid being burned to a crisp? Be handy to know, if I ever want to use an LI battery in my 999S,

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. My dash has an EOBD light and a volt meter. Magic.

I also carry an extinguisher when I'm riding and instead of leathers I wear this:

[​IMG]

#26 jusutus, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There is none. They use the same Shindengen MOSFET regulator (Ducati part no. 54040301B) as your Supersport and a quite a lot of other current models.

• Like Like x 1
  8. You little liar - I've seen you in your fancy pants...

Presentation1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. No one has every stated otherwise on any of these threads :thinkingface: who is this aimed at? :bucktooth:

10. The EODB I don't trust at all - let alone trust it with my life.

The volt meter doubling as a fire extinguisher though .... I like your thinking.

I have the exact same leathers as you except in the (faster) red.

11. Bob T was asking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Has anyone benchmarked the voltmeter in the display with a multimeter?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I came across a 1098R where the voltmeter in the display was reading 0.7V higher than a meter across the battery. So I'm not all that convinced about the accuracy of the display. I wonder if there any significance to the fact that 0.7V just happens to be the voltage drop across a semiconductor junction?

14. And not for the first time - he ignores AC when he says 'unless the bike has been designed for Lithium' I know not why :thinkingface:

15. Bloody Hell!

I had better have a look at my Harley sealed lead acid battery - it has been on battery tender for weeks now (both OEM Harley stuff, though).

But actually I think AirCon is right - the number of people with expensive battery problems on the older bikes always seem to have an Optimate or similar in the background.

FWIW, my SS came to me in 2009 with a branded Yuasa lookalike conventional lead acid battery - I found out it was already four years old at least. In 2014 it played up as one cell failed and it got replaced with a genuine Yuasa; but in the five years I had it, the battery was never on anything like an Optimate or tender, and it was topped up and charged just twice by a conventional charger.

Neither of the two batteries leaked acid anywhere - that was probably because I routed the breather tube carefully.

AL

• Like Like x 2
  16. That depends on the P and N semiconductor type materials being used and that's just the forward drop.

17. Yes, but there was no need to get technical about it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. If, per combination of model and components, you know how far out the display is then you can adjust for it. The fire risk for lithium batteries comes from too many volts yeah?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  19. I removed my battery and fitted once of these, Marti says it works best at 88 mph

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seen this argument rear its head quite a few times....ill ask my older brother (when i see him next) - he's and electrical test engineer with 25 years of experience building test rigs in all kinds of different environments, works for himself as a contractor for a wide range of companies in all different aspects of industry - he is "Mr Safety".....see what he says...

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information