1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tail Bag Options

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by Jon_Dong, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Although not the 1299/959 yet. The seat fits in a different way and the pack wouldn't be secure. They do a fitting kit for the 899/1199, but nothing available for the 1299/959 yet.

Great bags though. I had a US20 with US10 on the back of my 848 for WDW2010... no problems with them at all.

2. Sorry been away for a few days, so just catching up. You only need 2No 6mm dia x 15mm long 10mm hex head, self tapping screws & 2No washers (I used the type with a rubber base, they uses them on Cladding to stop the washer damaging the cladding. But that was only because I had them, any washer would do). see photo below of the bottom of my seat.
    IMG_0393.JPG

They are the ones at the bottom left of the seat, the other nuts are the one that hold the pillion strap in place & the seat retainer that clips into the fairing.

I took off the seat retainer, put a set of straps under it & after Burning holes through the straps with a heated metal skewer and put the retainer back on again, the straps were long enough to go across both sets on bolts, it’s a tight squeeze getting it back on & you need to tighten the nuts back on carefully, so you don't strip the threads.
    IMG_0395.JPG

I did the same with the straps that run diagonally across the seat, took off the nut that hold one side of the seat strap, burnt a hole through the kreiga stap (doubled them over) & put the nut back on. Repeat for the other side, then you can line up the hole you need to burn where you use the 2No self tapping screws. Pre drill the holes in the bottom of the seat with a 4mm drill bit, rather than just drive the self tapper in, best result that way.
    IMG_0394.JPG

Your best to do a bit of marking of the straps before you go a burn holes in them, I used the wifey’s fabric marker she just happened to leave in her craft room. just to make sure that enough of the strap loops poking out from the bottom of the seat once it's on the bike, to fasten the Kreiga bag retainers too.

Hope this isn't too late before you did the deed and Measure twice cut once!!

3. Thanks for that. I'm ordering next week and that's everything I need to get it done

4. Will 6mm x 19mm in length be OK? Just on with it now and only have 19mm long screws

5. Pre dill the hole before screwing them in with a smaller drill bit than the Screw diameter by at least a couple of mm. careful not to drill right through the seat padding & cover. you could always cut the screws down with a hacksaw if you need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. All completed and fitted last night mate. Thanks again for the help. Took a bit of messing about with cutting, melting etc but came out pretty well.

7. AA6317D7-0E15-4CF5-9DAC-8603C0E5BA14.jpeg

Just preparing for a eurotrip and fitting my Kreiga luggage on the Streetfighter. I might be having a moment, but can anyone see why you can’t just loop the straps together and close them under the seat?

The front mount bars and rear locking pin hold the straps from moving backwards. The lateral/ sideways force isn’t that great anyway, and is covered by the front bar mounts; and the straps being physically trapped between the seat and the tail unit. Seems no less secure than screwing the straps to me - it couldn’t fall off without the seat falling off (which is the same as a screw set up) and I’ve given it a quick test run, however, am I missing something!?!...

Secondly - DIY sticky back plastic paint protection - I waxed the paint A LOT before applying - should come off ok after a weeks use? Peals without a mark in my test area under the seat...

83003454-0FE1-4875-B80A-C675C1CF42F9.jpeg

8. Tetley makes great tea-bags, oh I miss-read that

• Like Like x 1
  9. Just the helpful response I was after... now if you’d said Yorkshire tea... ;)

10. In case it’s helpful for anyone the above set up has now been tested over 1,600 miles, including a maximum speed run on a derestricted autobahn

Patent pending :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information