1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking The P1ss

Discussion in 'Insurance - Sponsored by Ducati Insurance' started by mike willis, Mar 3, 2021.

1. More likely to claim and be total loss not to mention serious accident risk to person. Bit it does seem odd

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Loyalty means feck all. Compare every renewal.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Yes, 2 people on a policy is usually cheaper than 1. I had that experience too.

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  4. It's amazing what an absolute drubbing on testpilot does plus a shitty email.
    I have had their most polite and grovelling chap on the phone, just after an email to confirm I had left them and how did they do.
    I'm not sure the left arm knows what the right is doing.
    Grovelling chap was happy to refund the overpayment plus another £14.00 less two days cover, complete and unreserved apology and the promise of fantastic service in future, so for the record my premium is now £320.00 with all the bolt ons which I thought was OK.
    It's worth having a go sometimes, insurance is a minefield.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Apart from threads about which tyres, pressures, oil, levers etc. insurance must be up there with the most common.
    Insurance (not just bikes and cars) is a piss take and it really should be better regulated and structured so we all have a bit more certainty and comfort that we are not being shafted.

6. Brilliant news..........well done :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Insurance companies make almost nothing from insurance. The brokers and aggregators make loads! That’s where the fat is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Perhaps that is so, I wouldn't know. Never hear of insurance companies going bust either though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. There's a surprising number of insurance companies that like making almost nothing then!

10. They make profit from taking lots of cash, investing it and reaping returns on that. Mostly.

11. So they aren't just scraping by. :)

12. Check it out. The likes of Aviva, RSA etc on premiums make nothing.

Of £100 going in, most have about £20 in admin and running cost, and the £80 normally runs at £78 being paid in claims. Or put aside as future provision on potential claims. On personal lines anyway.

Got each £100 you pay? About £30 will be to broker and £70 to the insurer.

Generalising the market obvs, not all are same an commercial works differently.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Example. One insurer I know has 5bn income, makes a loss on its insurance business and a billon on its property investments.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Not really. But would you run a business with a 1% margin being as good as it gets?

15. Aviva operating profit reached an all-time high, and amounted to approximately 3.81 billion British pounds as of 2019, am increase of 180 million British pounds when compared to the previous year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/493798/united-kingdom-aviva-operating-profit/

Seems like they are doing very well thank you very much.

16. It depends how much one percent profit equates to. There are hundreds of insurance companies in this country alone and a lot of their products are compulsory for many people ( motoring, building if you have a mortgage, public liability, etc )so it clearly isn't a bad business to be in.

17. Sigh. Not from the premiums they charge for insurance. It’s other investments they make with the money they collect.
    This was about how expensive insurance is: I simply pointed out most insurers run at barely break even for premium income, brokers make shed loads

• Like Like x 1
  18. And it’s something many don’t realises about the risk of all this ‘we don’t need premises’ stuff. No commercial markets, no tents, no profits, no pensions, prices go up for insurance

19. Bradders, photocopier companies never used to make a dime out of the machines, but they made a fortune from the maintenance of the machine and the paper. And sigh, I never felt bad for them either.

20. Last time I looked insurance companies didn’t sell paper

Do Not Sell My Personal Information