1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Expanded?

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by Zards, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Hi Folks,

Well it had to happen eventually!!!! the tank on my 06 Mono has expanded:(
    I'm just wondering what alternative tanks anyone has fitted? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Gordon

2. Take the tank off and put it away to breath and shrink over winter, take out pump and fuel cap and store somewhere warm and dry.

3. Does this work/return to original shape:thinkingface:,as i have a spare tank sitting around now & wondering what to do with it.

4. Not 100%, but much better than fully swollen.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hey,that's very good news:upyeah:

6. Cheers for the info i'll be trying that for sure :upyeah:

7. I also put a ratchet strap around one when i took it off, think this helped too

• Like Like x 1
  8. A ratchet strap applying slight tension will help. It should return prety much where you need it. Make sure its empty of fuel and vapour and can breath so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes, you are wanting the water to come back out of the plastic so it needs to be kept warm and well ventilated.

10. Yep thats it.

11. I'm on the third tank for my Sport1000. Ducati replaced the first two, but then stopped offering free replacements after they faced a class action law suit from a firm in California. Removing the tank, draining the fuel and letting it air out will allow the nylon tank to expel the water it has absorbed, and it will return to close its original shape. The issue from there is that a certain degree of swelling damage cannot be undone, but it's really too late to worry about that. Once the tank has been thoroughly dried out, see if you can find some Caswell's sealant and coat the inside of the tank with that. I had my current tank coated before it was installed, and that was six years ago. Not going to say anything more and jinx myself, but I am much happier now than I was then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I've had a new tank fitted by Ducati recently. If this hadn't of gone ahead i would have bought an aluminium one. You are looking at 1k for it to be made though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information