1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Tank Range

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by xander296, May 7, 2018.

1. Hi all, first longish ride yesterday cause I needed the belts done before I could take it out, bike ran faultless handles really well, likes to lean over in the corners and is fast enough for me, but there is always a but, I thought I had filled it to the brim, ( is that to the top of the filling tube or the bottom) and we did get stuck in horrible traffic really hot with lots of weaving in and out, but only for maybe 2 mile, and I wasn’t going fast after that no where near full throttle, but the light was on at 79 miles??? That can’t be right can it’s? My SP1 got slated for only getting 100-110 but I have never heard anything about Ducati tank range? If I opened it up it would have been worse, there aren’t that many petrol stations around for that kinda range.

2. 79 is early but no, the range isn't great.
    Bottom of the tube but maybe the ground wasn't quite level or your bike leans more than most, so less went in than could have.

3. Guess I will have to see if I can live with that, love the bike but the tank range might persuade me other wise, are all Ducati sports bike like that range wise?

4. I once saw the reserve light come on at 78 miles on my 999S. That was after some particularly spirited sessions at Cadwell though.

79 for a 749 though ... have you been using third gear and above?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes we were stuck in bad traffic for about 2 to 3 miles real slow first and second gear, but after that normal riding, n the way back was a bit faster more revs and to be honest I think it was better mpg?need the light to come back on to know if it was better.

6. Something is wrong if you were only in bad traffic for twenty minutes or so. Did the power delivery feel right to you? Any bogging down or need to shift down to get speed up? Slipping the clutch the get underway?

I might suspect bad fuel, fuel filter, blocked injector but without more detail, it's hard to say. If you spent an hour in stop/start traffic and then the rest of the trip at 10k rpm, I could believe 79mi before the light, to be "normal".

7. It seems to run fine, I am going to go out again and see what happens, hopefully there's nothing wrong with It, should I be using advanced shell or the ordinary unleaded.

8. You'll get people swearing that one fuel is better than another or even that fuel choice doesn't matter.

It's been my experience that I prefer Super-unleaded over the ordinary stuff for my 999S. That's just my impression though, people are welcome to tell me that the difference is in my head : o )

9. The fuel you use ought to be the one the bike was mapped with, otherwise they tend to run a little better in the top half of the rev range with 97 or higher octane premium fuels. Range is not that far off (a little low) at 80. On my 999 it is rarely over 95 miles from full to the bottom of the neck to the light on a fully mapped open system - light usually comes on around 90-95miles. Thing is you need to check how much fuel you put in after the light has come on as the tank is pretty small with only 12ish litres from full to the light coming on. 80 miles is what you should expect for around 10 or 11 litres if the bike is set up ok.

#9 Denzil the Ducati, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  10. Sounds about right TBH. 79-90 was when mine used to come on. 999s is similar.

11. So 79 could be right? What does the tank hold after the light comes on? It's quite poor range that, the SP1 got slated for tank range but the Ducatis didn't? I expected at least a 100 mile I can live with that, hopefully next ride I see a bit more because I love the bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. If you have the 15.5 litre tank, you have about two litres at the reserve light.

13. There are bigger tanks? Bet it was cheap too!!! :thinkingface:

14. I understand that there are bigger tanks you can buy but they are dead pricey, so they are.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. Your owners books says 15.5L including 3L reserve (after the light comes on, or approx 30kms reserve) I always reset the trip meter when filling up so as not to get a nasty surprise during spirited rides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mine seems to leave 2L when the light goes on. How very Ducati : o )

17. Mine might be the same but I have never run it dry to see:worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I have : o D

Coasted right to the petrol pump, so I did.

19. 749r came with a larger (18.3 ltr) homologated tank for racing, not that easy to get your hands on these days.

• Like Like x 2
  20. @Loz ??? :thinkingface: just got one for almost nothing :innocent: but he had to moan about it for a year or more :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information