1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Repair And Respray

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Expat Jack, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Superb job :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Bravo .. looks great
    Nail varnish remover tho? I think you were lucky there . panel wipe and tack rags get my vote , cheap as chips too

• Like Like x 1
  3. I ran out of panel wipes whilst doing my fairings a few weeks back but I have always used acetone nail polish remover without any problems but, having said that, keen to learn. What are the potential drawbacks with acetone?

4. It’s just a bit strong - a pretty good paint stripper

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Great work that

6. Thanks Phil. You will see the bike at Silverstone in June. :upyeah:

7. Duo know what Jack I’d completely forgotten I’d booked that so thanks for reminding me lol! Look forward to hooking up bud!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fantastic! This thread is a real find as I have to do the same to the tank on my track bike. When I stripped the tank to respray it this time last year I discovered that the old paint was sealing a small crack caused by a dent. Unfortunately I didn’t realise this until AFTER I’d spent a week prepping and umpteen pounds on Halfords rattle cans, so when I first filled it up with petrol it just melted through the new filler and paint.

In the end I just bodged it with Araldite, covered the repaired area with Stomp Grip, whizzed over the tank with a sander and left it out in the rain for a while to go rusty for a “rat” look. It’s leaking again now though and won’t pass an MOT so I’m going to do a proper job of it. I was considering either braising or welding the crack but was kind of concerned that if there was any remaining vapour in the tank I’d probably blast myself into orbit and get nominated for a Darwin Award - I presume you can apply the Granville from the outside, like body filler?

Thanks for this really useful write up.

#28 Zhed46, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yup. Just like filler. You can sand it as well IIRC.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Impressive

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Good work as always mate but shame you're doggy doesnt think so?

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information