1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax Changes Affect Goods From Eu To Uk

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Longdog, Jan 4, 2021.

1. From eBay rules page.

New UK VAT arrangements for imports

On 1 January 2021, the UK government introduced a new model for the VAT treatment of goods arriving into Great Britain from outside of the UK. The new arrangements include the abolition of Low Value Consignment Relief, which relieves import VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less. Online marketplaces (OMPs), where they are involved in facilitating the sale, are now responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT.
    Basically they will collect 20% Vat on top of the sale price on all goods bought on their platform from All countries.

2. Online marketplaces responsible for the VAT in certain cases
    In certain situations, the responsibility to charge, collect and report UK VAT will be shifted from the seller to the marketplace as of 1 January 2021.

This will be the case when the marketplace facilitates a sale to GB consumers of goods imported in consignments with a value up to £135.

This means that as a seller, when you sell goods to UK consumers in consignments of less than £135, on a marketplace, and that the goods are outside of the UK at the time of the sale, the marketplace will be responsible for charging and collecting the UK VAT to the customer on your behalf.

However, when the intrinsic value of the consignments being imported exceeds £135, then the responsibility to charge, collect and remit UK VAT will remain with you.

Additionally, if as a non-UK seller you supply goods directly to GB customers without the involvement of a marketplace, and that your goods are located outside of the UK at the point of sale, then you will need to register for UK VAT if you are not already.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Overseas retailers are now expected to register for U.K. VAT with the HMRC and the HMRC will charge the retailer a fee for the privilege. In addition, companies such as FedEx and TNT are imposing a surcharge for items sent to U.K. and some retailers are already stating that they will not send goods to Purchasers in the U.K. at least for the present. Either way, we will be paying more for items purchased from the EU. Because retailers and courier companies are not going to absorb the additional costs. I found this out because I attempted to make a purchase from Poland on eBay for a part for my motorcycle and I found several places had posted a notice to say that they will not send to U.K. There are already other retailers from Scandinavia, Netherlands and Belgium that state this too.

4. But but but we are going to get some more fish!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. What a clusterfuck

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Even that isn't exactly straight forward. It isn't a repatriation of 25% of all species but every species has its own quote. It turns out most of the repatriated fish are species for which the EU never catch their full quota. It's good news if you like herring and mackerel. In my case the expected lower price of those species will save me the best part of F.... All.

7. Yeah but, no, but yeah... overall we get 2.3% more fish over five years plus a blue passport cover!

blue passport.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ok, no trade arrangements could outweigh the colour of a passport. By the way, I just got mine..... If I didn't know it was blue I'd have sworn it's black.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Don't know why you guys are even talking about this, you have exactly what your country voted for in a democratic referendum. Live with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Made in France I believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I tried to order some bike parts from the Netherlands on Saturday and it kept saying “we don’t post out to the uk”!!! I thought WTF! So I emailed the company direct and got an immediate reply apologising saying it was a glitch in the system!! I got another email this morning saying it’s all sorted now so did the order again and it’s all gone through no problem!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. I agree 100%, we are stuck with this now. The democratic referendum just goes to show that you can’t fool all of the people all of the time but you can certainly fool the majority of people when they listen to the lies and half-truths bandied about by the likes of Farage, Johnson, Rees-Mogg & co.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. That’s the issue, is t it. How much is scaremongering and how much is the real position.
    But given it’s HMRC and what they did to the contracting industry in killing it dead, it doesn’t surprise me. Fucking worse than the Krays.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. i think mail ordering products and parts etc between UK and EU will ultimately work out about the same once the all the VAT registered businesses have sorted the necessary paperwork/processes and have their courier firms and customs agents on board. some, like the dutch bikes co in the BBC article above wont bother, but most will follow the money i would have thought.

but as an individual who plays with old bikes, and occasionally buys and sells used parts on ebay. dealing with the uk as a buyer or seller got 20% more expensive overnight.

this isn't just related to uk leaving the EU to be fair. Ebay will start levying VAT on all intra-eu cross border sales throughout the EU later this year.

i am looking at whats involved in registering for EORI & VAT margin schemes so i only pay VAT on the difference between buy and sell price, but as this essentially a hobby is an occasional seller it may not be worth it

I mainly ell parts that are either from crashed bikes i'm breaking or OEM parts i have removed from running bikes due to upgrades. so it also throws up the question" if i don't have a purchase VAT receipt for the specific part, how i would calculate /prove the amount of VAT already paid on parts i then sell?

• Like Like x 3
  15. HMRC want all sellers into the UK to register, pay a fee, then file accounts every year. Never going to happen.

You better hope I'm right as otherwise every company will have to pay a licence in upwards to 195 countries, and file 195 sets of accounts every year... Insanity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Is this what sellers from China do too?

17. Or Poland.

18. the current VAT rules have made it easy for Chinese companies to import and sell direct to EU consumers on ebay and amazon etc and then pocket money they should pay as VAT and duty.

EU are now making it the online marketplaces' responsibly to track and collect VAT in the purchasers country from all their sellers to try and stop this happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. So this is less about UK imposing vat rules and more an out UK prepare it to meet the EU rules for trade?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information