1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tax Changes Affect Goods From Eu To Uk

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Longdog, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Here are the actual rules for imports into the UK.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. I ordered a fair bit of stuff off dainese UK which has disappeared into the ether.

3. True; but Europeans took it to industrial levels

4. you do realise you are talking about an art
    That has been refined over Hundreds if not thousands of years

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yes, but that art can be taught to a large extent.

6. They seem to know what they are doing with grapes here..;)

7. Haven’t tried Northampton wine so can’t comment on it, but there are some excellent still and champagne style wines produced in England.

Simpsons’ isn’t unpleasant!

https://simpsonswine.com/

8. One thing I know for sure is that lots of Brits know about wines, real connaisseurs, as we say. That’s nice!

9. You can study winemaking in specialized schools, indeed. They’ll teach you the science behind it. Chemistry, geology, climates, weather, etc.

But the art side of it (craft?) is still a very well kept secret by winemaking families, who try to pass it down to their kids, if these will be eager to take the business over. Not always easy though. It’s a very hard job, winemaking. It takes rough people to work in the vineyard.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I am very happy with my local village shop here in France. I can go in there and decide what red wine I would like to buy from a choice of about 250 different ones. If I still lived in the UK and was limited to locally produced wine then I would not have any choice.
    Try and buy a bottle of Pecharmant in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. We need a wine thread. My vote goes to German red, something from Mosel valley (not the exported crap).:beer: Though happy with a Chateauneuf de Pape also, when not slumming it.

12. I prefer red. I'm also biased to the wines produced by my family.

https://www.korenikamoskon.si/

The growing season in the UK is just too short with too little sun.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Croatian?
    The most beautiful country.
    The nicest rose I ever had was Croatian.

14. Slovenia, very close to the border of Croatia.

15. On the upside ( for me anyway) I just brought some stuff in from Webike in Japan, and for the first time ever - I have not paid any handling or duty !! It just came in a really fast time. Who needs Europe anyway? :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Well, my Europe eBay purchase has gone south. This is a message from the seller:
    2021_01_16_18.38.07.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lake Bohinje is just about the nicest place in Europe. Slovenia is the best country I've ever visited, joint with south Africa.

18. This is the message I got from a French company about sending something to the U.K. “I am no longer allowed to claim VAT from UK customers: UK customs will charge it to you directly when you receive your parcel.”

So as far as his company is concerned sending things to the U.K. is now just like sending things to the U.K. from any other country. When packages arrive in the U.K. the carrier presents them to HMRC and sends the recipient a letter detailing the charges payable (VAT, import duty and handling) and demands payment to release the package.

This appears to be contrary to what some other companies say. My suspicion is that HMRC are telling companies of a new process that they have set up for imports to the U.K. whereby the company registers with HMRC and pays U.K. VAT on their sales to the U.K. However this is not practical for small companies and HMRC doesn’t mention that there is an alternative process that has always existed and still does.

19. It almost as if a weeks notice wasn't enough time!

20. There is one I have tagged you into it :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information