1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell Me About The 821 Hyper

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Skidmark66, Oct 7, 2017.

1. I have been given the chance to buy an 821 Hyper its a 2014 model 3k miles. I have always fancied one after test riding an 1100 about 5 years ago on a Ducati roadshow at boxhill. Anyhow whats the pros and cons with these any advice appreciated.
    Mark.

2. Engine too small? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. it depends on the type of roads you ride on. Where i am near the yorkshire dales it is absolutely spot on .
    It is ideal for the twisty ,dry stone wall lined roads with short straights and jumps .
    just make sure that it has had a full Ducati service history as the fly by wire throttle on early bikes is famous for putting the bike into limp mode .
    Plus there is a recall out for a resisting wire mod from the spark plug coil to the dashboard that stops it taking out the dashboard and e.c.u at a cost of £2500. Ducati did my t.p.s. that failed as a good will gesture even though it was a year out of warranty ,due to me buying it from the dealer and having it serviced there.
    The 821 engine is a cracker on the twisty roads .You can bray its arse right through every gear and still not be going at stupid speeds .
    On my fire blade on the same roads i can bray it in 1st and 2nd , then you just click it up into 6th gear due to your speed.

#3 steve c, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. Engine too small can you elaborate please. Most roads I ride would be lanes and twisties to work about 15 miles each way. Then sunday blasts with the lads 75% lanes and twisties again with the rest M and A roads.

5. Perfect for those roads . I only keep the fire blade to take to the tt each year .The hypermotard only does about 125mph but with no screen you will not be doing it for any length of time.

6. Can't comment on the roads / route you ride, but I love my Hyper even in the traffic here in Hanoi. Middle of summer is not very good temperature wise but then when it is 38 0r 40 outside and the humidity is sat at 85% plus nothing is a whole lot of fun even with no traffic.

Love the bike! Nearly two and a half years and I still smile every time I look at it or ride it. Just do It!

7. I have the Hyperstrada , so wee bit different to the Hypermotard in the handling stakes. The Motard feels a lot more agile. Fantastic engine. 3 settings for your throttle response / engine power, but once you go into sport mode , that’s where you will leave it. Very nimble and a lot of fun to ride on the twisties. Go for it.

8. Only problem I had with my hypermotard 796 was the wind, anything over 65-70 mph was hard work.

9. What about the 1100. I have to say I have seen a few nice looking 1100s in black?

10. they are 2 totally different bikes to ride. i hated the riding position of the 1100 .

11. Think I will test ride them both first then before making my decision.

12. Yes - you can get one with a bigger engine o_O you didn't ask about your roads? :thinkingface:

13. The small carbon screen makes a surprising difference to wind blast at higher speeds I found.

14. Some bikes suffer with poor starter motors (£400 for Ducati) plenty fast enough for me as a 2nd bike to do a bit of commuting and weekend play mines a hyperstrada tho

Do Not Sell My Personal Information