1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Termi Full System - Legality And Noise

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Pat Mills, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Ita a crazy world that would say the race exhaust caused the accident but as you say its an issue that we / you need to confirm with your insurance company and get it in black and white. Ducati sell loads of these so it will be interesting to see the facts based on the post .

2. I always declare it to my insurance company. They know it’s a genuine Ducati part, and that it doesn’t increase power more than 5%. I’ve never been asked if it’s road legal or not, they have it on their system, and the bike is insured.

3. The last time I asked a broker, the underwriters of the policy I was looking at, clearly stated that only original equipment would be covered. In the event of a claim requiring replacement of parts and not a total write off, something like an after market exhaust would not be paid for to be replaced, that would have to come out of your own pocket. Andy

4. Ducati do sell many exhausts but not for road use is a very specific wording that will void any policy. The terms of not paying out for aftermarket parts is what I have had to do on my new policy, but all parts are road legal.

I also agree that an aftermarket exhaust would not be the cause of an accident, but it’s the assessment done after looking for conformity matching the policy.

i am only offering advice, it had a bad experience with my insurance and they didn’t pay out, Very costly and 8 month of fighting. Just hoping to help others.

Must admit I though the UK was getting worse until I was chatting to a friend in Germany, man they can’t do much and everything has to have a certificate for insurance purposes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Both mine have full systems on (with no markings) and all the mods have been declared with the insurance as well. I've been told in the event of a claim that they'd replace anything damaged with standard parts.

As an aside, many years ago when my mate crashed his nearly new Fireblade, he agreed with the insurance company to stick an aftermarket (noisy) can on as it was cheaper than buying a new one from Honda ! They also agreed to polish the frame to remove a couple of light scratches, saved the bike being written off.

Oh, and on the teenagers' Mito, the only difference between a legal end can and the race one is the legal one has a BS stamp. That's it, absolutely everything else is the same.

6. As Captain has outlined in his reply above, I had the same situation re-insuring my MTS + full Termi', when with MCE. They enquired about the power increase and accepted the NMT 5% increase as verified by certificate, with a system supplied and fitted by a Ducati dealership. There didn't appear to be any concern regarding 'not for road use', however. It's important to clarify this modification, otherwise you risk insurance being voided, if you get involved with having to make a claim. As we all know too well, any Ducati repair comes at a pretty significant price. An additional 'reasonable' insurance cost vastly outweighs the potential for cancelled insurance cover due to non-declaration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. A big 3rd party claim, and the insurer may look to recover their costs from their insured.

8. My take is you know it's probably illegal, but you take the chance. Also keep it as quiet as possible in built up areas.
    France I would be Loth to chance but suspect you'd be grand as long as you're not ragging it round town.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information