1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Bursts Into Flames!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Jun 17, 2018.

1. When the majority move to electric powered vehicles do you think the tax on electricity won't rise? They need to get that revenue from somewhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Got a pretty long way to go before it catches up with fuel taxes but it's a point. Imagine more tax will keep being added to fuel every few years though and prices are back on the rise. So I think it's a safe bet electricity will remain cheaper for quite a while yet.

Could quite easily generate your own leccy... bit pricey at the minute but £3-4000 on a big solar array and another £5000 for a Powewall battery bank and you can most likely live entirely off grid!
    The grid will even happily buy back any extra you don't want.

So for less than the going rate of an 1198s, you could probably never pay for electricity again.

I reckon drilling up your own oil probably costs a bit more.

3. Yup, home chargers will be metered. Don't worry, they'll get their bit ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. I'm just off nights from an oil refinery so bed is calling, but I do wish that statements made on here are based on something other than supposition and one blokes opinion only. Can we have some facts to back up this brave new battery world you speak of. :thinkingface:

;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I disagree. It will happen and it will happen quickly. Remember when the government recently introduced the "no road tax" for low emission vehicles? The take up on this was relatively swift, and it was swiftly followed by a huge U turn by the government to get that tax back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. This isn't ducatiforum.org, no place for facts and figures... :D

There a plenty of studies only a Google away. This blog collates some good facts together though. Tesla used to have a well to wheel calculator but seems to have vanished.
    https://blog.ucsusa.org/rachael-nealer/gasoline-vs-electric-global-warming-emissions-953

And that's all the way back in 2015, there's an updated version for 2018 https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner

Their calculations are done using US figures, where they only generate around 12% via renewables. The UK is closer to 30%...
    The gist, currently you'd need an ICE car that gets over 96mpg uk for it to compete, all aspects considered, over a car's entire life span...

#46 Joooooooosh, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    • Crap Crap x 1
  7. Perhaps, but how do you explain my experience of the range dropping so much in 1 mile yesterday in Leamington?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Not sure, I've not driven a Tesla only my Golf GTE and a Nissan leaf I had for a few weeks.
    A/C and climate controls suck up a ton of range. If I turn my A/C off, I can gain up to 3 miles in predicted range. I know Tesla's have a lot of glass, so more of a greenhouse maybe? Driving my car has made it really obvious just how much energy A/C uses up!

Ambient temperature is always a factor too but I don't think we get nearly enough sun for heat to be the cause.

Anecdotal like your experience but I was sat parked in my car yesterday for an hour, ignition on, A/C going, music on etc... as someone was late for a meeting. Didn't lose a single mile of predicted range.

Drag racing youfs to 30mph??

9. Kettles run on electricity cars shouldn't !

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jaguars used to as well. Something to do with an electricsl feed to the carbs.

11. Yes, several times o_O

12. We will be making up this loss in some way.

Think I will start investing in charging cables :bucktooth:

13. :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. New product for your cable business

15. Shhhh... :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Current car - time to refuel, about 5 minutes - range well over 300 miles.
    Tesla - time to refuel, at least an hour - range 150 miles (or less if fast-charged)
    Can't wait for all those motorway service station car-parks to be wedged full of people waiting for their batteries to recharge...
    And where is the infrastructure for the power transmission to the charging points going to come from?
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. EV.jpg

:D :D :D

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Is your house powered entirely by wind turbines and/or solar panels? Just a question...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Those cars have a petrol motor in anyway so I think this must be staged.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information