1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 18, 2019.

1. This will happen, no doubt about it in my mind. When we switch from petrol the government will still want their bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. TESLA is an anagram of STEAL ..........

.........that should tell you all you need to know about who is going to get ripped off.

Mind you, EVIAN is an anagram of NAIVE...........

..........and people are still buying it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Or an anagram of LATES :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Absolutely, hence diesel costs more per litre compared to the 'lets buy environmentally friendly diesels' days. Government needs tax money from somewhere to fund low income tax - wait, wrong thread...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Electric cars only seem to make sense as city cars.
    Governments must realise that one size does not fit all. The cost to the environment of laying millions of miles of extra cables and installing the required charging points, means it is a non starter for rural ares. Combustion engines are needed for a while yet,
    Meanwhile we still need to produce the required electricity. Emissions are just being moved elsewhere.

If the world was to get serious about the whole green issue, we would be looking at lightweight, low performance vehicles. Including combustion engines for now. Its simple maths. Weight, speed and power combined are the factors that dictate use fuel. Storing the electricity in huge batteries is not the solution without some huge advances in technology and in resourcing of materials.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Motorbike it is then :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Anom.
    ''I am now 4 months into driving our new Model X 100D. I recently left my car in an airport parking lot for week while traveling, and the charge decreased from 206 miles to 164 miles over the 7 days. Is this normal and what others experience? I was surprised it was so much.''

just pasted this after a search about electric cars and if they keep charge.
    Answers the question.
    Park up a diesel with a full tank and go back after several month there should be the same amount of fuel. ^^^ that cannot be efficient. Where I live now is fairly rural. Electricity was off for 4 days last year. Literally a non starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah, Tuono v4 or an old 990 Superduke lol.

#29 J biker, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nah....

...this it what it will come down to in the end.......

.......still paying for the Road Fund Licence though.

business-suits-scooters.jpg

10. They are free to charge from home apparently with the Tesla charger

11. Need a bloody long lead though Viv, when you are 50 miles from home.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ha you have to use the one they provide and find a good charge point
    All Tesla fast charge are on the motorways :D

13. Lithium + Fast charge = Heat.

At least you will be warm waiting for the fire engine.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Worth putting this in perspective, most of the detailed reviews I have seen (Engineering Explained for example) have said that one of the things with lithium is that when it's cold it reduces the effectiveness of the battery, so possible that in this circumstance they parked it on a warm day and when returning it could have been a lot colder. Of course, that's just a theory but I know there is variation in efficiency which admittidly you get to a much lesser extent with petrol.

I would go electric but I'm still a little confused by the lack of investment in infrastructure, I think if it was the magic bullet we would see more than a token car in a manufacturers range.

I remember when LPG was dirt cheap and people were getting excited, and then the costs have crept up and up. Would be interested to see how much tax is levied on LPG now compared to 15 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Yep - perfectly safe unless you charge it too fast... or crash it into anything... or run over anything on the road... or charge it when it's already too warm - or too cold...
    In which case it might suffer a "thermally destructive event" :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. What could possibly go wrong?!

17. No need to "feel sorry" like it or not this is definitely the future.
    In 15 years time most of the younger buyers will laugh about the old, noisy, overy complicated fuel powered engines(especially Euro6 and it will even get tougher)
    I wouldn't buy one as a main car(for now) ...but definitely good for commuting on short/medium distances.
    Was planning to buy a Nissan Leaf midsummer just for shopping and school runs.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information