1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 18, 2019.

1. its funny how they are sold as green apart from the fact, they are very un-green to make and where does that electricity come from to charge them up.........
    I think Hydrogen is the way forward, you still need batteries in the car, but the process creates electricity, so not so much need to charge them, but how do they generate the hydrogen, probably in large fossil fuel burning factories, shipped around the world in fossil fuel burning tankers and driven to petrol stations in lorries, whose pumps and lights all work from burning fossil fuel.

it needs a complete step change for the whole supply chain to be running on hydrogen, up until the point they invent perpetual energy that is....

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I've ordered my new tesla with the full electric pack, washing machine, tumble drier, Juicer, smoothie maker, hoover....

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Putting things in perspective.............

.............if a vaping pen or a smartphone can explode violently enough to put a hole in you.......................

Anyway I wonder how many 'modern' vehicle fires occur these days compared with those 'older' vehicles that were well maintained before advanced technology installed in them.........

........I find it interesting how often computerised systems have breakdowns and failures in whatever field it is used.

When the older cars went wrong it was usually because of poor maintenance ie; leaking fuel; dirty fuel and corroded electrics. Most of us would have been capable of fixing issues like that, but these days, it involves a technician or a dealer where electronic equipment tests things and finds electronic equipment is the problem.

They then change whatever they say is wrong, charging the earth for un-plugging something and plugging something back in. But it still takes as long as removing a carburettor, cleaning it and then re-fitting it.

4. What? No microwave?

5. Exactly. My Multi DVT has been in the shop now for a month and they havent foung out how it can be fixed yet. Definately an electronics issue.

6. I can imagine a conversation like this taking place around the turn of the 20th century.
    Folks who had used horses for decades were told the new fangled automobiles were the future
    "you want me to fill that tin pot thing with a liquid less stable than dynamite and more potential energy
    than TNT."
    They must have come up with any number of examples of petrol/paraffin fires to ridicule the idea.
    Technology eventually overcame most of the issues and hopefully the same will happen with EVs.

7. That was on the premier inn package

8. Just got back from Hong Kong and Teslas are everywhere over there.

9. Yep! People driving around with paraffin lamps for headlamps (also more effective than those fitted to an MGB BTW)... them were the glory days

10. This is the latest European predictions for ICE / EV take up.

(from one source .. but there are many... all showing similar numbers)

Note that everything except Fuel Cell and Electric still has some king of ICE on board whether main power, shared power or charging the vehicle..

You see the real growth is predicted in the Mild Hybrid.

The prediction is China will lead the way in adoption of EV, Europe in the middle and USA bringing up the rear (1st World Countries)

upload_2019-3-19_7-53-34.png

upload_2019-3-19_7-59-30.png

I know this does not tend to tally with the possible Law changes... and is still industry predictions that manufacturers are planning their production around.

So no need to jump on the EV route for fear of being left behind for the near future.

11. They come with a nice keyless fob

54345330-76CC-4669-AA60-C795E0203487.jpeg

12. The adoption predictions are still really low aren’t they! 6 more years to even see a decent hike in electric

13. I'm a luddite (and proud of it) but I went for a 2nd hand hybrid with the following reasoning;
    Wife wanted big car for family bus/holiday service.
    I wanted reliable car with reasonable fuel economy.
    Bought a 2nd hand Lexus RX hybrid as it seems to deliver all the above and (relatively) doesn't go wrong in spite of all the electronic jiggery pokery (see luddite above).

I'm waiting to see what after sales service will actually be required on full EV's as they have none of the usual service items but - I wager - there will be software updates once a year costing upwards of 200 quid for the privilege :)

14. Spot-on there, Harry. You have an unerring instinct for being right. You are absolutely, a luddite.

: o )

15. Thank you very much :upyeah:I'm planning on checking the points on the hybrid this weekend....

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Converting the carbs to DC current only is a bitch, too.

17. Bit of red-ex and carb cleaner and it's fine.... Changing the oil in the motors is easy as they seem to be a total loss system :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. At a quick glance, the arm of that chair looked very much like something else

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Last time I looked a new leccy pack for a Tesla was 40,000 USA dollars. I believe their warranty is 8 years for the pack. No idea what other manufacturers are warranted too. I know on the Leaf you lease the batteries on top of shelling out for the car.
    When the average family electric car has a 600 mile real world range then I’ll seriously look at one. Until then I’m out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yep, it's the range that puts me off. Claimed range is probably optimal. In reality you can probably half it. Plus aircon/heating will batter the power reserves. Not to mention the addictive launches from traffic lights....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information