1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mary Hinge, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Then, how long to re-charge? Park at night with flat battery and plug in - all good unless you need to go out at 1 am for small child needing medical attention or fags?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. I noticed charge points all over the shop in Holland, which would perhaps make things manageable. But the UK seems to be lagging regarding e car infrastructure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Why would your small child need fags? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Similar in the way tobacco companies started investing in vaping, petrol companies are now investing in charging point companies knowing that public charging is at 3 times the domestic electricity unit rate

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/31/...ric-vehicle-charging-networks-across-the-u-s/

https://www.current-news.co.uk/news...hicle-charging-market-with-french-acquisition

5. She likes them......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Also in their houses; shops and offices, because the infrastructure and distribution network soon won't be able to keep up the electricity demand. Candles will be banned (global warming); loads of people out of work as robots take over (they use electricity as well, don't they?).

7. Holland - small, densely populated country with very good infrastructure - indeed, the UK could learn a thing or two :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Don't mention lithium and aircon and heating in the same thread... @AirCon :scream:
    *runs off to put hard hat on and sandbags*

All joking aside, until battery technology goes up one evolutionary step you're pretty much stuffed.

Acceleration on an electric vehicle will always be impressive as the motor has near instant 100% torque.

Leasing the battery cell is the wiser option as you're not left with a redundant and expensive cost after several years. BMWi3 and i8 owners have this to look forward to.

The cells out of the factory are only around 80-90% efficient as well, already being depleted after their initial charge.

Musk is not really interested in producing cars per se, he wants to corner the market or the battery technology. The guy who installed our solar panels now does Tesla Power walls, which are essentially the battery floor of a tesla car.

If your journey is mainly motorway, you're pretty fuckkred, as there's no way the car can recover it's charge, however if your natural habitat is twisticles then happy days. Our mob had a tesla for benchmarking in the states, and in a setting where the roads were winding and therefore used the brakes and coastdown alot the guys just couldn't get the thing to deplete - which was the point fo the test. On the empty expanses of arizona however the thing was dying pretty quickly as you'd expect. its not like they even had a solar panel on the roof to help out a bit.

To make the thing work you need a serious charging infrastructure and also a cell which will charge in no more time than it would take to fill a tank of fuel. Research is being done into such a thing at manchester uni at the moment I think.

The chargers are nothing more than mains to three-phase converters. from a manufacturing point of view the car needs to be made from some pretty exotic materials as the whole weight needs to keep as low as possible - weight and drag will murder electric vehicles.

As for the taxation of such - yes of course. The government has now stopped the Feed-in-tariff scheme for new solar panel buyers, and I'm sure once the EV market gains momentum there will be lots of ideas as to how they're going to mitigate the loss of fuel revenue. I can see a nice fat tax coming in to "help pay for the battery disposal".

There are a few Tesla owners round our way, quite funny actually parading their air of self indulgent smug in so far as they've got 70 plus grand to launch at a car but they're not killing baby foxes and bunny wunnies like Mrs Surrey 4xWhores in their range rover bitchtanks and for the properly heeled, porsche cayenne dahhhling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toyota will also advise you not to bother with hybrid if you mainly do motorway journeys as you are not going to get full benefit and therefore payback on initial outlay. I do mainly twisty and up and down hill commute and can get around 35 - 38 mpg, on a motorway run it drops closer to 32 which is not much better than non-hybrid version.
    The technology will move on but it's not there yet - as for infrastructure :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. This is about second cars. The main car is obviously petrol engined, but the number two car, used mainly by Mrs mainly for shopping, school runs, social visits, never goes more than 10 miles from home, can very well be battery-electric. Going on holiday, travelling for work, towing your bikes/jetski/caravan - I don't think so.

It's about people who have a garage or driveway for their two cars, so the battery one can be charged up at nights. Ideal. Other folk, who only have one car and have to park it on the street, maybe some distance from home, are not going to go for this option any time soon.

It's about folk who run new or newish cars. People who usually run a 10 year or 15 year old second hand car are not going to be buying a second hand Tesla in 10 years time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Ok, I think I've got this.

So when they (Tesla) produce a battery powered tractor (Think big green John Deere) that can plough a massive field for hours on end with one of those multi bladed plough things, they've cracked it. I'm thinking huge current loads, work rate, torque here. Masses of it.

The 0-60 is a one trick pony. Three or four consecutive standing quarter miles and the Tesla will be on it's chin straps having covered only three miles or so. They don't show us that on CarWow or Top Gear....!!

So that's it then. In conclusion- Tesla's are shite! The End :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I took my lad to football practice last month and it’s a fifteen minute journey. When we came out there was a covering of snow and the traffic was a nightmare, it took two hours to get home. An electric car wouldn’t have made the journey with the heater and lights etc on. Imagine getting caught in a jam or road closure and you might as well just give the recovery agents a call because you ain’t driving home. The recovery people are going to love electric cars they’ll make a fortune out of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Here’s knight rider at the slow charge point

613327F3-DDF6-4286-9FC6-4DFD086406EE.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Anyone watching the oldies trying out a Tesla on ITV. :joy:

• Love You Love You x 1
  15. Go and wash out your mouth with soap and sit in the corner...

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information