1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Testride V4s Impressions / Hp4 Comparison

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Stephan / GER, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Interesting watch even with subtitles. F*uc, those v4s sound good though !

• Like Like x 1
  2. What is that sticker kit?, it looks great!, congrats on the new bike by the way.

3. I could see how the panigale could be skittish on the brakes. Almost no weight over the rear, best brakes there and lightest bike. Got squirmy written all over it!

Bloody Italians. What did they ever do for us?

4. It was tounge in cheek old boy... You should have known that after living here 30 years...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Maybe read the post again....Of fuck it, can't be arsed.

6. Apparently they don’t have a sense of humor either...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Check 4moto.de

Set is 300,- EUR but I recommend to have put it on by experienced guys as it is not easy to align it.

8. Next to chassis and engine and great handling, the Ohlins suspension was one motivation to buy the S.

Unfortunately on back roads the rear is way too harsh, no matter the settings in the DES menu.

Hence I am very surprised the manual didn’t state anything about rider/static sag. All I was able to find out is that the TTX shock comes with a 95N spring.

Hence I am thinking on adjusting preload on the rear (Ohlins fork works superb btw).

On the HP4 which had only dynamic suspension the rider sag was unusual 8-12mm (compared to 25-30mm on conventional suspension).

Does anybody have a hint regarding sag on the V4S?

Also it is strange the Menu does not have a recalibration / reset setting in the suspension menu, which to my knowledge should be mandatory in case one alters ride hight by changing preload in order to let the electronics know what the new riding base is.

(Apologies for my English in case my writing is a bit confusing)

9. No idea how yours works, sorry, bit if its anything like the DVT multi its very limited to 5 settings from default. The first skyhook had 22 IIRC, so you could work very similar to traditional: set default, measure, change, measure etc until you got it where you needed it. If the V4S has lots of settings, maybe that? Bear in mind that default may be different for each mode, it is on the multi :)

10. From the manual, looks like its good old ring spanner needed (page 267 I think it was)

Adjusting the rear shock absorber
    The rear shock absorber has adjusters that enable you to suit the setting to the load on the motorcycle.

Warning

The shock absorber is filled with gas under pressure and may cause severe damage if taken apart by unskilled persons.

When carrying a passenger and luggage, set the rear shock absorber spring to

11. @bradders is correct, the electronic Ohlins TTX fitted to the V4S and SP has manual preload adjustment. Andy

12. Nice bit of old school ease mixed with new school tech.

13. Thanks, but that was not the question.
    I know it is manual preload setting, but in order to set preload correctly I need the sag numbers from Ducati.
    Will call the dealer tomorrow if he can find any info from Ducati

14. Not really, sag is sag. for track, 10-20mm rider and for road 18-30mm (which is very soft) for the rear.

Electrics should work from whatever sag you would expect, as sag is simply where is starts and the rest deals with how and how far it travels. (BTW too little sag and its likely to top out on track under heavy braking).

Heres a grid resource :)
    http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Apologies if you know all this, just ignore :upyeah:

15. As suspension settings are very important I am happy to get as much info on it as possible. Therefore thanks for the useful link.

Although with the new dynamic suspension on modern bikes and the influence of their electronics on the suspension (even in standstill with engine running) IMHO the usual numbers on conventional suspensions for sag are not valid anymore. I'll keep you posted on Ducatis answer on that and maybe open a new thread on the V4S and its suspension settings / sag numbers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. not sure about the fairing on the GSXR1000 k5 though. :thinkingface:

17. Isn’t the HP4 semi adjusting too? Can you use those sag numbers?

18. Yes, but I doubt I can swap the numbers for sag, as the HP4 has a SACHS suspension and the Duc uses Ohlins.

On the other hand the Duc has one more advantage over the Hp4:
    the Suspension can be switched to "fix" which means the suspension is not dynamically altered anymore by the electronics, thus should perform like a conventional suspension (or am I wrong here???).

Maybe I should start from there ("Custom fixed suspension") and let's see if I see the OEM recommended rider sag numbers for the TTX36 of about 25-35mm at the rear.

19. IME sag is sag. Its simply putting the bike in the right part of the stroke. The issue comes with too hard or soft spring, as seen by quite a few skyhook riders, where you over or under compensate with the comp/reb and it over works the system.

Example, I think it may have been franksie, had issues with it being too hard, so he softened down but it became harder when ridden especially 2-up. The suspension was squatting too much so firmed itself up, as it does. So a new spring meant it sat suspended at the right point, not over or under compensating (that was the theory we came up with anyway, and seemed to fit several dealers view of how it worked)

20. Good point. I was almost on the way to do that actually... So thanks.
    Incl. leathers and helmet I am 92kilos so the 95 spring might fit anyways.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information