1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Choice

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by PerryL, Apr 17, 2021.

1. And so is the Ducati! I think that it is only 1 kg heavier. Will have to try both of them as can only go on feel. The Ducati should feel quicker as it is 10bhp up and maybe only 1 Kg heavier.

2. If you're not buying for at least 6 months I can guarantee the Aprilia will be a grand or two cheaper, usual Aprilia tactics.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Don’t think the previous Supersport was a big seller so expect a £1k Ducati voucher before too long .

4. All good if either gets cheaper!

5. I have printed out A4 landscape pics of both bike to try and help me to decide. Now, all I see if that fecking huge Aprilia swinging arm!

But, seriously, it is relevant. The single-sided swinging arm on the Ducati is a bit of a clincher for me. I understand all of the arguments against a SSSA but on my Monster S4r it was so handy - easy chain adjustment and super-easy wheel removal when I went for tyres, with never having to worry about wheel alignment.

Still not going to make a final decision until I see the bikes but if I do decide on the Ducati then unless I am offered a real bargain deal then I would go for the 's'. I didn't include it before because I wanted a fairer comparison with the Aprilia.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Both exhaust offend me. The Ducati is no worse that the Aprilia, but it would have to be changed. I am not worried about more power or volume but just better looks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. You're probably taking this too seriously and thinking about it too much.

Dealerships are open now so why don't you pop down and have a nosey?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I will be.

Slight problem at the moment in that I have no license and no roadworthy bikes, so no transport!

I could use taxis (and do) but I am in no hurry o visit dealers while all this covid crap is in full swing. I might make an appointment to visit the doctor but not to browse a dealership!

Now that I am getting stronger, my focus now will be getting the Ducatis legal and roadworthy. I will spend no more time on looking at bikes and investigating options as the choice is made. That's it. Done.

9. Also, with the Supersport (that will be my chosen Ducati and where I was about ten months ago - I take some time to catch up!) I think it has to be the 'S'. But why? It has Ohlin's suspension! But, do I need it? No, I've never had it before and I've never bounced along the road thinking, "what this bike really needs is Ohlin's suspension!" and so I am not going to bother with it.

10. Even though the Ohlins fitted to the S, is to a customer spec (made to a budget, not made for ultimate performance), there is a difference. I’ve been able to fettle the suspension on Carole’s S with a lot more finesse. Andy

11. I have no doubt that Ohlins is better but I am not convinced that I could tell - or if I could, not sure that I could tell that it is about 2k better. I'll see at the time and depending upon whist is available at the dealer at the time. Might even buy used if there is something that I like and is available. Key thing is that it does not have to be new, does not have to be an 'S' and possibly does not have to be red. Well, probably does have to be red!

12. Carole’s is pearlescent white with a red frame and wheels. Looks the absolute mutts :upyeah: Andy

13. Well, the white does look good and doesn't offend me.

Truth is: IDGAF on colour! I would take anything. If I buy new and it has to be ordered, then I would have to ponder, but if it is new and in stock, or used, then anything will do.
    In fact, I have smashed up two red Ducatis, so it could be argued, don't get red!

14. I'm going to have a trundle over to Frasers tomorrow to see if they have an RS660 and have a poke around. I rode my Panigale V2 in to work today and bl**dy hell I need to slow down, I'm just cruising along at speeds that aren't cool, and it's made worse because at 70mph the bike is right in the rev range where it's 'ready' and a whiff of throttle and it's over 100mph. It's wearing thin on the road in truth.

For me, hard thing to compare, looking at all the videos, and current having a old Gen 1 RSV in the garage, the attraction of NOT going Ducati is not having the horrid Ducati judder and chug low down, some say "the new stuff is really smooth" but I'm somewhat skeptical when you compare it to a 20 year old RSV Gen 1 that you can ride at 10mph in traffic without a hint of clutch.. (I realise emissions are in part to blame).

If I can get out on a RS660 I really want to, because I think the supersport bars visually look very 'tourer' where as the RS660 looks like it just has more of a early 2000's sportbike seating position.

My other consideration is that I have 3 trackdays booked this summer and owning an RS660 as well as the V2 is a little pointless, and the RS660 I don't think would quite be enough around Jerez for 3 days.

I'll try to take some good quality pics if I do get up close with one. One thing you would need to budget for though with the RS is the rear shock is apparently REALLY poor if you weigh more or less than the average (if indeed you do)

15. I sent a Ducati-hating, BMW- loving, mate a pic of the Supersport that I've pretty much decided will be my "accident-reward bike" when I get my driving license back and some compensation. He thinks it great and said that he would have one! I thought that I had made my choice but if a BMW fan likes it.....?
    Nah, feck it! It is STILL my choice! (probably not with Ohlins, though)

upload_2021-4-29_6-15-33.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I expect that the exhaust bolts to the pillion foot peg. As I need to junk those and I wanted to junk the cat, anyone know of any good alternatives to the cat and exhausts bolting to the pillion foot peg?

17. Evotech exhaust hanger bolts on to a Termi exhaust and replaces both pillion rests.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Thx! that's a good call as they do lots of other stuff like a radiator guard, levers, and a oil cooler guard. I've bookmarked the site and will refer again when I have the bike.

Thanks again.

19. Look, five days have gone by and I haven't changed

• Like Like x 1
  20. Got a search going on on autotrader.co.uk for Ducatis. I should really stay with my principles and buy used. This also means that I could get a Supersport S with Ohlins. Not that I know that I will notice the difference, but the perceived wisdom from the press is that Ohlins suspension is better. So that's what I will do if ever get my motorcycle license back (and hell freezes over). I'll get a Supersport S as there seem to be a few about.
    upload_2021-5-5_10-15-45.png

Do Not Sell My Personal Information