1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mac, Nov 28, 2019.

1. He’s also a coffee snob who wants to assess your coffee knowledge and equipment before deciding which of his products he’s prepared to let you buy!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks. I think that when I used to work in Brizzle, I used to get a noseful if they were roasting just by the M32! And they are more local than Monsoon. I will certainly give them a shot!

3. It mystifies me that people who sell you coffee beans seem to feel that they are on a higher plain than everybody else. And so you are being granted great favour if they lower themselves to sell you their product. Is business really that great at the moment?

The one good thing about this pandemic is that you soon find out who your friends are - and suddenly my enemies - like BMW and Dick Lovett BMW - want to be my best friend.

Still can't find a phlucking plumber, though!

4. You'll have a hard time finding any roasters who don't use Royal Mail for small amounts - it's the most cost effective way for them to send. What coffee did you get from Amazon?

5. No, I never ordered any in the end as I now have my beans from Monsoon.

I am having a conversation with Monsoon about how crap the Royal Mail Special Delivery service is. to sum it up: my point is that if I order free secodn-class delivery then I normally get my beans quicker - because they will just leave them in the summer house and put a note through the door to say that they have left them in the summer house Now, I pay for first class delivery which they pay to upgrade to special delivery. The result is that I sill get a card through the door saying I can f*** off if I think that they will just leave them. I then have to go on to the Royal Mail website to arrange for redeviery, whereby the postman will still not leave them in the summer house but will leave them on the doorstep. This is just frying my mind! Next time I will try Brian Wogan in Bristol - only because I am getting intrigued by how much the Royal Mail can cock things up...

6. Cost me a bottle of wine at Christmas - postie will alway leave items hidden even signs for me

7. Mine does that as long as it's not coffee beans from Monsoon. They seem to deserve special attention and are too important to be left anywhere. When they sent them second class and the postman couldn't give a f***, then no problem they were just chucked in the summer house. My conversation at the moment with Monsoon is that they are forking out from their own pocket for special delivery to ensure that they arrive and I am arguing that special delivery from the PO ensures that they DON'T arrive!

The gig seems to be that I stand outside my front door from 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon on the off-chance that I see the postman for the three days after putting in the order. I'm saying that I was better off before the panic, when I never paid for delivery and they sent the order second-class post!

8. My next door neighbour is a very wealthy businessman. He said to me once "I'll tell you what XXX, they say money doesn't fall from the sky. Until you roast coffee beans. Then it does"

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thanks.

I don't think it is Royal Mail so much as this f**king stupid special delivery. As I said before: just using second-class mail was fine and I never had any problems . If the package was too big for the letter-box then they would just leave it in the garden room. With special delivery - although it is the same post-person who delivers normal mail, they won't leave it but would rather carry it back to the depot - again, again, and again.

They put a card through the door saying that they require a signature. This is BS, as they don't according to Monsoon Coffee. The Post Office are so last century. Everyone else, like Amazon, will leave much more expensive items and just take a picture on their phone to prove they delivered it. If it requires a signature then they just take a picture of me.

The bizarre thing is that I pay more for first-class post and Monsoon pay to upgrade that to Special Delivery so that I get it slower than second-class post. I did make the point to Monsoon that everyone else - like Amazon, Screwfix, Stroud Brewery manage just fine - but none use Royal Mail.

Like here, today. Whilst the Post Office now stay tucked up in bed on a Saturday, there has been a steady stream of deliveries to neighbours by people in vans. If I GAF then I would offer to help Royal Mail get with the game. They have the infrastructure with thousands of PO vans sitting in depots doing nothing whilst the rest of the country is out delivering. I've even had Amazon deliveries on a Sunday! I haven't paid for it but the independants like to clear everything for Monday. The PO need their beauty sleep. It's not working as there are some right ugly f**kers around here!

10. Thinking of trying an Aeropress anyone on here use one. Probably use it with a hand grinder like the Porlex mini unless there are better alternatives.

11. Aeropress every time for me - I make a perfect-strength mug full every day. It took me a while to get the grind/strength right but I use it every day; using the 'permanent' SS filter panel instead of the paper ones is the only change I've made since getting it right. It's easy to go too fine on the grind and make it hard to push through - I recommend grinding coarser that you'd think then winding it back finer to get it right. Use the stirring thingy to loosen things up, wait, then press...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Isnt the Aeropress just a plastic French press? I thought they were used mainly for camping.
    Is there some science that makes them better than a French press? I used to have an all stainless. I loved it.

13. No, not the same. It's possible to make an espresso with an Aeropress. I don't, some do...
    Cool fact - they're made by Aerobie...

14. I just looked at them online. Seems to be the same process, just not with a paper filter.
    Seems cool though. I am considering it VS a pour over if/when i camp with a bike not a car/truck

Rex

15. I’m fairly alone in preferring RoyalMail. The problem for me is a card through the door from any of the other delivery involves a trek across the West Midlands to my nearest depot a royal PITA. Royal Mail is a mile walk into town. For me way more straight forward.

16. Pour-over needs only two parts - funnel thingy & paper filter and would take up less space when camping. If using the Aeropress you've got three more parts and, when you eject the neat coffee-grounds 'puck', the same 'waste'. I like to rinse my (costly) stainless steel filter after every use (I expect there's no real need though) and I get the same result as when I used the paper filters. I get a more consistent result with my Aeropress than a pour over filter that I still use now & then, but I like the Aeropress - it's my morning-coffee friend :)
    This has rambled on a bit :sleeping:... the upshot of this is - I like my Aeropress (did you get that yet?). It gets the job done and is - sounds a bit weird - a pleasure to use. Time for bed - I've rambled on enough...zzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ

New one comes with the stack of paper filters...
    Aeropress.PNG

17. My home coffee is solid. just considering for the bike.
    I drink enough that this would be too labor intensive for me to do every time.

18. I find any of them fine. They may knock but have buggered off by the time that I can get to the door. No problem though as packages are left in my Summerhouse. It's only this Royal Mail Special Delivery that Monsoon pay for if you pay for first class mail. Then the package seems to become the property of the postman/lady and they will not leave it. It seems to become their best friend that they carry backwards and forwards for days,

I only got my last order because I waited by the open front door for a couple of hours for the postman to come.

The irony is (and Monsoon seem to prefer losing my business rather than believing me) is that if I just order second class postage which is free, the postman will happily just leave it in the Summerhouse.

I seem to be in a minority of one when I point out how f****ing frustrating and stupid this is. Suddenly, my coffee beans become too valuable a package to leave. It becomes the postman's best friend.

With Amazon, I know that they leave the package on the doorstep or in the Summerhouse and just take a picture on their phone if there was to be any dispute. Simple and then they are off on the next delivery. This concept that Amazon use is far too modern and controversial for the Post Office. Nobody at the Post Office seems to have the intelligence to think, "why aren't Amazon, who send thousand of parcels everyday, using us?" and nobody answers, "Because you're crap!".

19. The truth is that they do, however, use Royal Mail - all the private delivery firms are huge customers of Royal Mail as well as USPS in the US, they use them for the things they can’t be bothered or aren’t cost effective to deliver themselves and there’s an awful lot of things they palm off which you won’t be aware of as you live somewhere that suits them. Nationalised mail services are exactly that, a service. If someone sends an item and specify that it requires a signature then it’s not royal mails fault they can’t obtain one. Amazon don’t leave my booze orders on the doorstep for the same reason

Do Not Sell My Personal Information