1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mac, Nov 28, 2019.

1. I can't stand the thought of having a coffee in a glass. Same goes for hot chocolate. Got to be a mug or bowl.
    Different strokes for different folks, eh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. My De Longhi coffee bean grinder has given up!

I haven't researched yet, but anyone got recommendations for a small coffee bean grinder (small as in just for me, so a handful of beans every couple of days)?

3. I was brought up by Italian parents that drank espresso coffee every morning. Like them I used to grind my own beans and used to make coffee using Moka espresso coffee makers (I had an 8 cup, 6 cup, 4 cup, 2 cup, and two different 1 cup sized machines)......I used to turn my nose up at my brother’s Nespresso machine that used pods.

Then one day I had a coffee from one and found it was just as good as my self ground, Moka brewed, espresso coffee. In fact it was better because I didn’t have to fanny to get the same results.

I promptly went out and bought a Nespresso machine. In fact we’ve just bought a new one in the past month (the last one was 12 years old and was starting to become temperamental). We use it every day to make both espresso and lattés. So it gets some hammer.

Try one, you may be surprised at the quality of the coffee. I know I was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll investigate but I really want to carry on buying coffee beans - more choice and variety.

5. Just went into the kitchen and turned it on. Fecking thing worked!

Maybe it has gone like the De Longhi coffee maker that I used to have, before I binned it.

It will work when it feels like it and not when you want it to! Very Ducati...

6. Got an Aeropress off Santa and it makes great coffee. Easy to use as well.

7. Just like on bikes, there's a reason we're not all riding around on Mega Dodo Rubber Factory tyres (remember them?). Your expectations are false, but you've never ridden on the equivalent of modern rubber with your coffee grinder. The best you can do for under £200, is ebay for a more expensive, second hand burr grinder (if you're lucky), or invest in a top of the line hand grinder.

8. I think I saw one on Amazon for about £60. Didn't need to go back as mine has started working - until tomorrow.....

9. We recently got a Eureka Mignon Perfetto....it's a fabulous grinder...and in conjunction with our mokka pot, the coffee is just great !

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looks good but not cheap. where did you buy yours (as my DeLonghi has got long in this World)?

11. So, I've just got hold of a decent looking s/h Mazzer Super Jolly Timer grinder.
    I've 2 Delonghi burr grinders (same model, both around £55 new and both a few years old) that have played up recently, stopping to do anything for no apparent reason. 1 is working now but the Mazzer was advertised for £50 and I ended up getting it for £45. It was just advertised as a grinder and no reference to the brand at all was made, I just saw the picture and realised it was well under market value. The guy had sold up his cafe business a couple of years ago and the machines were never collected by the company he rented them from (or so he told me) so I felt I couldn't ignore the apparent bargain.
    I've run some Lidl beans through it just as a test and it grinds well - these beans are packaged as their espresso beans, a blend of arabica/robusta and I've found them to actually give a decent espresso from my Gaggia from a fresh bag but I think they're now past their prime so will be consigned to mokka pot duties and I'll source something better shortly.
    Any hints for Mazzer home use ? I know this grinder is really intended for commercial usage with much higher throughput than my own, so issued such as retention are a factor - I'll drink 2-3 espressos a day so I will not shove cafe-levels of beans through it. I'll surf around the coffee forums and Youtube for hints but if any of the knowledgeable people on here want to chip in then please do.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I love coffee but currently still using a Nespresso Vertuo because actually the coffee is really nice, I get that it’s expensive, 50p a cup, but rather than just pump more water through a little capsule you get a proportioned amount each time. It’s not in the leagues some of you are in but it’s not bad

13. My coffee machine hasn’t been used in ages

14. My wife uses a Vertuo machine - some of the coffees are ok but to my taste many are over roasted and lack much real depth to the taste. She likes them, especially with milk (soya or almond mostly) but I have mine black.

15. There are mods you can do. Check out the Mazzer section in https://coffeeforums.co.uk/

16. I have a DeLonghi burr grinder that regularly stops working. I've nearly junked it twice but I discovered that it needs a rest! After a 30 minute rest it is fine!

It is an exercise in patience!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I find opening a jar much easier and quicker! But I’m a Heathen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. That should be a brand. I think that Heathen Coffee could be a seller. Under "serving suggestions" we could add the perfect builders coffee, served with ten spoons of sugar, a bacon sandwich, accompanied by a sprinkling of bad language. I may be going into business.....

19. From Machina - they're the only people who sell the perfetto, in the UK at least....not had a single regret about it, or coffee made using the mokka pot...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information