1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Coffee Thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Mac, Nov 28, 2019.

1. It used to be said of Hi-Fi that you need to spend most of your budget on the cartridge and turntable as if you don’t get the pure signal off the disc, no fancy electronics and speakers were going to put it back. Surely the same applies to coffee making: the beans are the source of the flavour, so must be most important to the outcome. The roast and grind develop the flavour and release it.

The coffee maker creates the coffee, but only if the beans had it in the first place and can release it. A precision machine which always does the same allows repeatability and finessing of the process, but only till the beans change. Less precise machines give variation to the process which introduces some randomness to the outcome.

Is it better to have some so-so coffees with occasional truly great ones, or have every coffee somewhere near great, but not quite?

2. For his next piece, Rex will try to convince us all that we should ride Harleys.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. It's very easy to make bad coffee with good beans. The grinder is the most important piece of not doing that. Then the making process. Then the coffee machine/method. Particularly for espresso. Better equipment and technique can make even commodity coffee taste reasonable.

4. OMG. Just watch that America's test kitchen video. That's 8 mins of my life I won't get back.

Who were the experts, exactly? I've only had good coffee in the US in specialty coffee shops. Where was the mention of the flat burr grinders which are superior to even burr type? What about 95% ideal particles (which you really want for espresso)? What about different grind temperatures? What about different grinders for dark and light roasts? What about a £500 grinder's 'bad' coffee being notably better tasting (to everyone) than a £200 one?

That video was very dumbed-down for the US.

5. OK, so you dont like to be called out on your expensive habits. NP. Please post the reulsts of the scientific tests done on YOUR choices. Show me the 90% results please.

Now you are offering reasonable? My method is better than that.

I dont know who they were. I am sure they are ALL sponsored so they cannot agree that something other than what they are paid to say works well. It is also telling that you commented earlier BEFORE ever watching the video.

Dumbed down for the US? How? Did they not use the words you like? Do you need a different accent to believe the results? I really am looking forward to the unbiased research you have to post. Not someone who says this is the best because this is what I use and say so...
    So the UK is smarter overall? Or just smarter at Coffee? I am being reasonable, you are a pompous @$$
    Please do what you like. You can afford it I imagine. And anyone that wants to Spend too much before they learn what they like is welcome to.

Maybe YOU need to tell people to spend $500 on a used/marked down grinder that is not the best but good enough.
    Maybe it, and your 1K brewer make a 9.5 out of ten cup of coffee.
    Mine will make an 8.5. Since most here and there are thinking that their 4.5 is a decent cup I just cant see the expense unless it;s for bragging rights.

I dont buy status. I weigh quality/value/price.

I love good coffee, I drink plenty. Having some now. It is not my life.
    If it IS your life I apologize for bursting your bubble.

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  6. LOL. What are you doing on a Ducati forum, Rex?

7. Nice concise answer there. Plenty of FACTS and Links too. Everybody appreciates that.
    Do you need me to find you a rubber repair kit for your bubble?

What are YOU doing here?

If creating a decent reputable fact based reply is too hard please do not stress yourself.

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'm not going to regurgitate the internet for you, Rex. Go and find your own info, like I had to.

>>So the UK is smarter overall?
    Er, yes.

>>I dont buy status. I weigh quality/value/price.
    So do I. I just have high standards for espresso. I'm not bragging about my grinder. £500 for a Niche grinder may be a decent amount, but its nearest direct competitor on the market (that can do the same) is over £1500. I guarantee that it'd make (objectively) better coffee than a cheaper one. That's what it was invented for. And I was asked about it, so I answered.

If you can't see the irony of coming to a Ducati forum and not talking about expensive machinery, I can't help you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OK Emperor...

You are still missing the point.
    Would you tell someone with plenty of cash to get a new V4S as there first bike? Then spend another 10K customizing it?
    Or should they start a little lower and learn what they like and where their needs/wants would be best served?

You are equating the fact that some people here enjoy Ducatis so they must buy expensive things in all aspects of their lives?

The UK must be smarter because YOU said so. I'll go with that. I will keep Richer/Happier/ and more freedom for the US.

Good luck.

Rex

10. >>OK Emperor...
    Glad you know your place now.

>>You are still missing the point.
    >>Would you tell someone with plenty of cash to get a new V4S as there first bike? Then spend another 10K customizing it?
    >>Or should they start a little lower and learn what they like and where their needs/wants would be best served?

I would tell them not to start with a Harley.

>>You are equating the fact that some people here enjoy Ducatis so they must buy expensive things in all aspects of their lives?
    Nope, the irony WAS lost on you. Should have guessed it would be.

11. Yes sir. You are the Emperor... walking down the street with no clothes.
    Emperor of Coffee.

Rex

PS Great Harley jokes because I am an american right? Clever.

12. Again, the irony is lost on you. I'll explain in words you might understand. Your coffee suggestions are the same as suggesting everyone need only ever ride a Harley because it's all anybody ever needs, despite the fact that better bikes are available and desirable.

13. Interesting new Starbucks coffee machine:

14. Yes Emperor, keep marching to your tune.

Rex

15. For non-espresso coffee:

upload_2020-6-20_7-30-22.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. For espresso:

upload_2020-6-20_7-31-22.png

17. I was using Monsoon Estates for my coffee beans. We have now fallen out for the final time (long story involving the sh1t service Royal Mail). So now for my next batch I want to buy mail order whole coffee beans. There are a few about but does anyone have any recommendations? I want a very simple service that seems to defeat Monsoon (who were worried about their business going under with the closure of many coffee shops and markets, so they decided to cut to the chase by telling residential customers to get lost!) with just freshly roasted whole beans being sent to me by somebody other than Royal Mail.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. It almost makes me cry. Just looked on Amazon and "Bang!", no problem they can supply tomorrow. Do independents simply not get it? They would prefer to have an argument and keep using the Post Office who they admit have let them down many times before. Amazon got the gig and don't send anything that they can't afford to throw in the bin by post. They use their own delivery people. They may work them like dogs but at least the customer gets their stuff. Amazon see this as the main thing whilst others seem to see this as an optional extra.

20. I love Wogan coffee in Bristol- next day delivery and their Josh Egleton blend is great https://wogancoffee.com/shop/

there’s a man who comes to Salisbury market to but he’s pricy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information