1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Engine Run In Myth

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bondy7070, Feb 2, 2020.

1. My 1299 ran a lot better after a couple of extensive 190mph runs down the autobahns tbh :laughing:

engine spun up quicker

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Something to do with "woodruff keys coming loose"?

Puzzled the dealer, they'd not seen anything like it. Presumably my original engine was a Friday p.m. job at the factory.

3. Yeah..I don't disagree with you (well, maybe a bit?).....but....it's not just the engine you're 'running in'. I too am an 'Enjinear' (50 years & RR trained). I wouldn't run any machine to peak performance 'out of the box'. I suppose (for me) 'Commissioning' is a better term than 'Running in'.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. How bizzare

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I knew a complete tosser who thought it wise to run a BMW M3 on the limiter whenever he could, from day one.
    Blew it up on a trackday after 10 months which was not covered by the terms of his lease.
    I'll bet the diagnostics were interesting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I bought a brand new zx10 in 2012, the plan was to run it in on the road then convert it for racing, it then occurred to me it was the first brand new vehicle I’d ever had!! I phoned my very respected and experienced engine guy as I didn’t have a clue! I got it from South Wales and he told me to go steady for the 4 miles to the M4 then redline it in every gear! I really didn’t want to lose my licence and it felt wrong to do it but I trusted what he told me so I did!!! I raced that bike for nearly four years without any issues apart from the usual gear selecters( cassette box,half hour job) it was also one of the strongest zx10 motors on the dyno!, sold it to a mate and its still going very strong! Did have a refresh midway through but most parts were all good! Just my experience though I don’t think I’ll be doing the same with the v4!!!

• Like Like x 6
  7. :joy: Priceless

• Like Like x 2
  8. Personally I’ve not had a new bike to run in since 2005. But get to personally ride quite a few demos! They pretty much get nailed by everyone and never seem to break! just have some mechanical sympathy when it’s cold and normal routine oil services and I think you don’t need to worry too much these days. Materials and oils have advanced, as have manufacturing quality and tolerances ... So Yeah just do your thing:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  9. So I have done 50 miles on my new GSXR1000 and I have booked Aragon for the end of April. If I don't hit the recommended 600 miles run in, do I change the oil anyway before track use, whatever the mileage?

10. I would yes.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Never done a track day. Do you need to wire sump? Filler etc?

12. Based on my experience here in Oz I would say probably not. Read the fine print though.

13. No.

14. Thanks chaps. Thought I might do one, it's on the bucket list.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Just make sure everything is tight, you won't be popular if your oil filter comes loose half way round a track!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes me and 6 others who crashed on one lap of Donington can vouch for that.

• Crap Crap x 1
  17. I saw it happen at donnington bloke on a fireblade did it. He soon buggered off.

18. Many years ago, a race engineer showed me how to use a large jubilee clip to wire lock the oil filter on a bike, which I have done on all my bikes since. Andy

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Wasn't me!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. take oil and a filter with you. job done

oil changes are a piece of cake

Do Not Sell My Personal Information