1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The First Maintenance-free Motorcycle Chain

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by DarR, Apr 13, 2021.

1. I just love the Regina chain specification link, full of glowing comparisons but when you read the small print, the wear rate is compared to a standard chain that isn’t maintained and all bets are off if there are abrasive contaminants present. I’ll stick to my standard chain and follow my routine maintenance, ta muchly. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Isn't the point, though, that you can just wash the chain and not have to mess around with all the oily stuff?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. That would be bliss! No shit flicking up everywhere either

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. My point is, if you make the comparison with a maintained standard chain, the life extension claimed for the maintenance free chain is in reality not so much and IMO, does not justify the higher cost. As the majority of the miles I ride are mostly on B (and sometimes C) roads, I cannot guarantee the absence of an abrasive contaminants either. Regina are still using the same synthetic rubber X ring, which will be another life limiting feature. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Little and often and frequently cleaned is the answer to that. Andy

6. I believe the road/track chain might work, most of the dirt on our chain is caused by the lubricants in the first place...therefore lack of these will probably allow the chain to run a lot cleaner.
    As for the the enduro/mx version... "absence of abrasive contamination" :) I have yet to see an enduro track where there isn't either mud or sand or combination of both, resulting in a perfect grinding paste.

7. Colour me a sceptic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. All I read is ‘hassle’ :joy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Takes less than 10 minutes after returning from a ride and before putting the bike away. Get good penetration (ooh err misses) on a warm chain. If the ride has been really shitty, the bike gets washed off and dried as well. It’s the routine I have. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  10. Awesome.
    Please be sure to give us a chain review. And the bike also.

11. Yeah, made by Regina for BMW.

12. I had a BMW S1000rr with the so called maintenance free chain and it’s clearly not. 4,000 miles and it was rusting from the inside out and BMW would not swap it under warranty saying you still have to service the chain like you do any other chain. So it’s a pointless unnecessary expense. Save your money.

13. Snake oil then.

14. Mate it's non sense. You couldnt have BMW with maintenance free chain as it was released this year for the first time

15. I had it retrofitted in March of this year in the annual service. By July the rust started showing.

16. I can't see how they claim you never need to adjust them also, just because it has a DLC coating doesn't mean the links won't stretch and the pins won't wear over time.

I actually enjoy cleaning my chain, takes practically no time and it gives me time to have a quick once over the rest of the bike while I am there to check for any other nuts/bolts that may be loose etc. Plus seeing a gleaming chain is always satisfying, it probably helps that I have a hydraulic ramp so I'm not on my hands and knees.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information