1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 The Good Old Fuel Sender Fault Still Lives!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by TonyMNo1, May 28, 2020.

1. :) Well after what seems like a lifetime, I've been out on my Mutli 1260S for a shortish ride. It's been sat in the garage staring at me since being serviced on the 10th March and hasn't moved.
    So it was great to get out on it and have a steady'ish 50 miles run out.
    But, half way out on the ride, I get the low fuel and then the empty fuel red warning lights on the dash, with the fuel gauge reading absolute zero.:(

:mad: Total nonsense I shouted in my helmet, as I knew from the trip reset, when I last re-fuelled, post-service, that I had at least 150 miles left in the tank.
    I pulled over and stopped in a lay-by, shut-down the engine, waited for 2-3 minutes, re-started the engine and after initially all being seemingly back to normal, within 10 seconds, 'no-fuel' was the bike's opinion.

I checked everything, including dipping the tank, which as I thought, was still circa 75% full.
    So back home I went, confident in the knowledge that I had plenty of fuel, but clearly a faulty fuel sender unit.

So that is now 3 out of 3, Mutlis I've owned, with the now common and to be expected fuel sender unit defect, that Ducati, especially on the Multistrada, have become infamous for. I've had a 2010 S, a late 2014 (2015 plate) Pikes Peak and now the 1260S, all with the same defect.

So, this design flaw still hasn't been solved and as soon as I'm able to, under the 'new normal', I'll be booking the bike in under the extended warranty (4 years), to have this issue sorted out..........AGAIN.

Apologies for this diatribe, but I really had thought Ducati had dealt with this and I'm cheesed off that it has happened once again. :poop:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I know how you feel Tony! Changed mine about a month ago with about 2k miles on the clock! Got the sender unit under warranty but fitted it myself and while all the panels and the tank was off I fitted my aux spotlights while I was there!

it seems we will always be blighted by faulty fuel senders!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Well RTR,
    You're a braver man than me, getting stuck into that lot, but then you do know what you're doing, whereas moi!......o_O

4. If some Italian built it you can fix it Tony! Be brave son!

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Mine did this too! Went for a post lockdown ride and when I left home it said no fuel, light was on etc so went to the gasser and popped the cap and couldn't even squeeze a dollars worth in! Then the gauge stayed empty for a good hours ride and after our lunch stop, bike upright to start this time, it had fixed itself and has stayed fixed so far. So expecting it to fail now and will leave it like that!

6. It’s on its way out bud! Mine did all of the things yours has and I spoke to my local dealer and he gave me a new sender and said just fit it!
    Been fine since! Jinxed it know though! :confused:

7. I have the same now on my 2017 bike and now we can ride again, a fuel leak. It stinks of fuel and cant be looked at for three weeks . Great weather and no bike :(

8. Mine is sticking, but hasn't failed yet (2017 Enduro). I think I had three new ones in a year on my 2013 1200S.

9. :eek: Well, in the time honoured Ducati fashion, having left the bike overnight, on the Optimate, I've checked it this morning and lo & behold........it's all back as it used to be.:grinning:
    But for how long is the question? Not that long methinks:punch::bomb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was reading on one of the FB forums yesterday that we are now up to suffix F on those senders, with the latest one seemingly OK (so far lol) Ducati really ought to honour all faulty sensor claims regardless of bike age. They were poor from day one

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. My bike out of warranty. Ducati said no. So I bought the F sender and installed my self.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Does anyone know the resistor required to bypass the damn thing?

13. Strange you should say that - my Diavel (Gen2) sender finally stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I've been in touch with my local dealership to get a replacement - the guy I spoke to said they have gone from "F" to "E" which seemed counterintuitive, but he said the E has superseded F :thinkingface:

14. Only had one fail on my 2016 but its not good to still hear of the same fucking issue. It should of been dealt with by now'

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Or maybe they have some old 'E' senders left in stock at the dealer ? Unless it's different to the Mutley sensor (surely not?)

It might be legit but I would check with another dealer first :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The new one I fitted was an F. I was told this is the latest version! 290A723A-17CC-4946-81E3-F84405596EC6.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. :thinkingface: Ah, now I know why the sender piece of kit is failing! The Italians have clearly started fitting cardboard boxes instead of techie, electronic thingies, that can actually function as intended.
    Thanks RTR for clearing this up. :relieved:
    OH and by the way, how the heck did you get that box into the right place without distorting the bodywork....Just asking? :party:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. It’s what’s in my box that counts Anthony!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Yep, I checked with the dealer and the service guy got confused/mixed up with the Multi I used to have, the latest for which is "F" - the latest for the Diavel (Gen 2) is "E" (it currently has a "D" installed).
    No more confusion...I just hope it works :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information