1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 The Good Old Fuel Sender Fault Still Lives!!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by TonyMNo1, May 28, 2020.

1. A part like this is produced by an outside contractor for Ducati. To change the contractor or redesign the part (and tank) is a big undertaking, far easier to work with the contractor to solve the problem. It would seem this contractor is still struggling. There's been lots of talk about the float expanding in ethanol gas and jamming but the nature of these failures doesn't point to that at all. One day it's reading proper, next day flashing red empty. This is an electrical issue

2. Mine appears to have the "expanding float" issue, as it'll take a couple of hours to show full after I've filled up. So there's that plus the electrical issue that others are experiencing.

3. Hi,
    My 2015 1200 DVT sender has just started mis-behaving, how much for a new one ?

4. About £80 if remember.

5. This is the first Ducati I have owned and when the nice after service people called me from Italy to check how all went I unleashed about the absurdity of having such a basic part fail ... Ohhhh really ....apparently they have never heard about this issue ... so I suggested she maybe join this forum and update herself with the end user. Anyways new one fitted lasted a week ... then back again ... and said to the guys at the garage what’s this all about how could my basic 125honda handle a fuel gauge yet the 18k 1260 Enduro cannot. I don’t like to think of myself as particularly high maintenance but I for one think this is an unforgiveable issue .... at least they should man up and agree they have issues rather than talk complete BS and disown the problem. Suffice to say the lads fitted a further 3 before calling me to say it was ready for pick up. I hope this lasts the distance

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Well said, that man!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hi everyone hope you're all ok? Oddly enough my 2015 dvt base mutley just joined this club after its 2nd short journey yesterday since lockdown was eased! The fuel reading in the dash dropped to below half a tank with only 90 miles ridden from nearly full with only cruising not thrashing.
    Anyone else thinking any recent failures down to bike layovers during lockdown and non- essential travel ban?

Also is the component repairable and are there any resistance tests to check it? A new one is £80 delivered, so another question: I take it the tank needs to be empty to replace the fuel gauge sender unit having seen where it is on the tank (under the riders seat?)?
    Thanks for any wisdom / guidance

8. I’m not aware of any fixes for this only replacement. The tank needs to be mostly empty as you have to remove the tank to replace the sensor. Once the tank is out you can stand it on its nose and change the sensor, all the fuel will be nowhere near the hole where the sensor fits then.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Nothing worse than fuel by your hole...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. F stands for failsafe!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I was told that the latest Mutley ones are no longer troublesome??

12. I was able to tilt the tank forward and replace the sensor without removing.

13. :( Well it's still playing up. Out on a circa 300 mile ride out today and about half way around, with 50% fuel in the tank, everything lit up like Christmas on the dash. "No fuel"; amber light flashing, red light indicator likewise. Then miraculously after about 15 miles, everything came back and it's still working. It's only a matter of time before it heads into Riders, Bristol, to be replaced. And as it's a 2018 1260, I would imagine it has the type F sender unit, so on the basis that this version has supposedly solved the fuel sender saga, maybe it hasn't......:scream:

14. According to the parts list, the 2018 Fuel Sender was 59210211E. Without looking at 2019, the 2020 part number is 59210211F. So there is hope for you yet. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bah! ....my 2014 (6000 mile) multi fuel sender playing up now ....when I bought it 2 years ago with 800 miles on it ....they had to fit a new one when they serviced it before I picked it up ....
    At least it unsticks after a few miles due to the vibrations and pulsing from the warped discs ....:joy:

16. 2014 Multi, have had occasional stickyness for over a year that cleared on restart / while riding. Then full on sender error, engine warning light, low fuel & flashing gauge. I have asked if there is any goodwill available - waiting for a reply. Temporary solution to the warnings & flashing is to fit a resister. 2.5Kohm = 2 bars indication does not clear low fuel light. 15KOhm = 3/4 full indication, fuel light cleared. 50KOhm = full indication, light cleared.

If nothing else it clears the sender error, engine warning light & flashing dash indicator.
    At your own risk naturally.
    Mike

Fuel sender fix.jpg

#36 mikele, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 2

17. Hi.

What stickiness are we talking about?

18. You fill up & it doesn`t go to full, then 5 miles later it indicates correctly & works as expected

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. The first symptoms of the dreaded failure.

20. : unamused: My 1260 is booked into Riders, Bristol on the 27th August to have this fault checked-out, along with the paint flaking problem with the engine casing.
    Once I'm up to speed with the respective solutions, I'll provide an update to all.:upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information