1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great Ducati Forum Bake Off

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by West Cork Paul, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Nope, although with any oven, it's always useful to know how accurate the temperature gauge is; most domestic ovens are woefully inaccurate. A simple and cheap oven thermometer from your local kitchen shop (or Amazon) does the job:upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sourdough stater culture - Day 5 (I think, I've lost count - had to check the news to find out what day it is today:confused:)

Yep, you've got it:upyeah: Same again. Feed time and leave it out at room temp 'til this evening to really get going.

ps. We're almost there.

3. I still do not bake, don't eat carbs but...
    You might have enjoyed dinner last night.
    A Bacon Cheeseburger with sliced avocado and spicy mayo on a bed of baby spinach with a side of Brussels sprouts with Bacon and garlic with a splash of Balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan.

Yes, of course that is Bourbon and Coke Zero to wash it down.

[​IMG]

Rex

• Like Like x 2
  4. DE5F49B4-47F6-4BD7-94D4-19169B447A38.jpeg
    I’ve not had so much fun since I made something out of flour and water and painted it when I was about 4

• Like Like x 1
  5. They are just there... with the rest of the fresh veggies. When I can I try to buy local... and specifically from the USA because I want my poisons and pesticides?? to promote the USA?

Truly, some places are allowed to use very bad stuff. We know it. But it is still allowed to be sold here.
    Seriously, the average Super market as they are called are super. the public area is probably 50yards deep and over 100 wide

Its 1:15 PM here. Time for breakfast. I do Keto and Intermittent Fasting so 2 meals a day

I am out of Avocado (the store will have over 100 easy)
    So...
    2 fried eggs with cheese over peppered bacon.

[​IMG]

Rex

• Like Like x 1
  6. Some of these Scones look really weird to me. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. But a quick search shows
    For Southern California

Starting in October, you can plant lettuce, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, Swiss chard, kale, celery, onions, garlic, peas and spinach. Turnips, carrots and radishes are best grown from seeds. Radishes are great fun to plant with children because they grow so quickly.

Winter crops there...

Great Winter Vegetables To Grow In California
    • Roots. Next on the list is root crops. ...
    • Staples. Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, celery and peas are a few other common vegetables that often find their way into California gardens. ...
    GA to CA is 1900 miles. Stuff is shipped here all the time
    Manchester to Gibraltar is 1200 miles.
    Just guessing. Can't they grow stuff year round down there?

Rex

8. If I remember later I will take my ESC to the supermarket and snap some pics if you promise not to cry if there is 100lbs of flour, of all different kinds from 8 different manufacturers...

Probably no TP at that store... but the other always does when I go in.
    I buy it and share with the neighbors who never find it.

I am back. Just took a count. Do not send hate I share with the single mom, and 3 ladies over 70 that surround me. The Mom is a Nurse and 2 of the 3 ladies do not drive. And I didnt buy any extra until the shelves were bare... I just go for some heavy cream (coffee) and walk down the aisle and there it is.
    Also an ex wife and 2 kids 15 minutes away that I would give any of it to...

16 boxes of tissues
    10 rolls paper towels (rarely used. I have 17 kitchen towels as I prefer them)
    38 rolls of TP, plus probably 6 in the 2 baths.
    160 Germicidal wipes, un opened, just arrived.
    A dozen 8oz hand sanitizers 6 1oz travel size
    50 masks (I have many Neck Gaiters to wear over them to keep them sealed to my face... soon)
    Approx 200 rubber gloves.
    Gallon of bleach unopened.
    8lbs Italian sausage
    4lbs bacon
    3lbs homemade breakfast sausage
    4 steaks.
    4 big burgers.
    2lbs boneless skinless Chicken Thighs.
    Frozen homemade meatballs.
    4 sticks pepperoni.
    Some 3yr old cheddar
    Fresh Mozarella
    2lbs coffee beans
    2 boxes of tea.
    Etc etc.
    Oh and Olives and pickles everywhere.

I always bought in bulk. None of the food is more than 5% above what I keep. I have Never used hand sanitizer in my life till last week.
    That is probably triple the TP and tissues. I had the gloves for working on stuff and dying leather.

Wont mention what the MSM would deem an arsenal, but my friends scoff at as the level they have when they consider it that they have none...

Get on a plane, land in Atlanta, flash your Ducati Badge and I will pick you up, make you dinner, and send you home with supplies.

Rex

• Like Like x 2
  9. Is that a hotdog in that picture ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. It’s looking good Char:upyeah: coming on nicely.

11. CBD7A9F9-0CCB-4EEF-973B-D2DCFB549A0E.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yayyy, well done Alan, or is it Alan Williams Daughter ? Either way, great attempt:upyeah: Now enjoy them:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Was me this time. Managed to get some flour, but daughter is being lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sourdough Starter Culture - Day 6 (or is it 7?)

Anyway, you’ve guessed it - same again.

Almost there :)

15. Bit dodgy looking but they’re for eating not decoration ACAFF717-C8CC-4DD8-90B3-2FFBFAA5D293.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Week 3 - Cookies

I was going to do a soda bread just in case the shops were devoid of bread and as it’s real easy but I changed my mind so let’s make some cookies this week. Really easy and great for kids to take part with or even for grandkids to bake and deliver to grandparents.

You will need:
    100g room temperature butter
    125g sugar
    200g self raising flour
    1 egg
    1tsp vanilla essence
    100g choc chips or smashed up chocolate bar

Cream the butter & sugar
    Add the egg and vanilla essence and mix through
    Add the flour and mix to make a dough
    Add the choc chips and mix through
    Roll into a sausage, wrap in cling film and put in fridge for a couple of hrs.
    Remove from fridge, slice, make balls, place on baking tray and flatten the ball a little.
    Bake at 180c for 15-20 mins
    Remove & cool

I added some ginger powder to mine as well. I also should have used 2 trays rather than trying to squash them on one tray :(

30F4C1C3-E486-4E2E-B44A-A98A3E68D934.jpeg E3BE6660-08E1-41A4-92C2-33A0D26D3537.jpeg 20F002D6-A860-4EBC-9D8B-E0F1854CA4BC.jpeg 21546606-18A6-4166-B10D-A313CB586A45.jpeg DE9F2FF3-88B7-4CA3-856C-949EC1600E99.jpeg E48AC793-F9C1-4251-AC0E-561109FE8D0D.jpeg 29347526-2023-4A7A-9779-AB732679E48F.jpeg 870194AB-99D7-4535-879C-1D8929704EB2.jpeg 47AA7BA6-3071-4DD6-B815-BEF21282ABBB.jpeg 9F5D31F0-4DE0-4516-88E1-CA235C6C779E.jpeg CF926B7F-77CD-4665-8A8C-44670D9491F3.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Yummmmeeeeee:):upyeah:

18. Can we make Yorkshire’s this week

19. Why not? I haven’t made Yorkshire puds for yonks. Let’s go for it and post up the results - and no Aunt Bessie’s

• Like Like x 1
  20. Late shift on the scone baking......

6E589B4E-3632-42C9-A5D5-A4D53E2F59CF.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information