1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kettle

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by andy huggett, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Loved my kettles,back in the day.Sadly well out of my wallet range these days.Nice job.

2. Lovely. Alas, with skill and patience being lacking for anything like that myself, makes it more admirable when people do them :upyeah:

3. Lovely bike -a credit to you . If my GT550 ever ends up this good I'll be well pleased. It looks like crap but drives ok - well it will do as soon as I put the new pistons in !! I just love riding it

4. Great bike, we fired my mates up in a steel barn with all speeds and no baffles, the loudest noise I have ever heard!, yours looks great, well done, stuff the purists :) ,handling is of it’s day, and the brakes probably 20 years before it’s day!, but she’s and old lady and should be ridden with the respect she deserves of course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks for all the compliments guys n galls, it honestly does mean a great deal to me. If its worth doing right, then bloody well do it right :p thats my motto and always has been, yeah the purists will say this and that but all in all she is as good as i could do in the time i set myself. Now its a case of finding those illusive parts that make it even better, but they are sought after by everyone who owns a J model...thats what makes restoring a old girl like this just plain daft expensive, and when you do it, someone askes, how much would you sell it for....then you tell them, the imediate answer is...'Jeez, it aint worth that much' !! Well if its that cheap to do one, go ahead my friend and do it yourself!

Personally, i didnt do this one to sell, its mine, i love it and i will enjoy riding it, its not a bike to go tear arsing about the countryside, its a plod along, enjoy the scenery (and fuel stations) along the way, a very different kind of riding!
    My first impressions are....IT PULLS LIKE A TRAIN with no noticeable power band (not what i expected at all)
    Its stiff, front is stiff, rear is a little soft, a bit of a hard ride, but very comfy
    Much taller than expected (re...wider) so still a tip toe bike like my Multi.
    BASTARD to get on the center stand, very heavy (i thought 2 strokes were light..lol)
    I will get pissed off with the Expansion Pipes eventually (maybe 5 years ) :D
    Speedo accuracy.........err what accuracy indicating 60, doing 45 :p
    Rev counter, same issue
    Temp gauge, thats interesting to say the least, panic panic panic, talk to the guys on the forums...oh yeah, dont worry about that, its normal :D

I have so much to learn about her, its like being newly married !!

So next project for the winter, find a GT550 and do it up

Following winter a GT380 and do her up

Then a 250 and a 185 :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. Well done Andy - enjoy the 2 stroke fumes - big old buses with crap suspension - I love them !!

7. Beautiful job, great bike :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information